Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Slip Ons Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM
jmcgill89
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines Slip Ons Questions

I want to install a set of V&H slip ons on my 2010 Street Bob. However, I'm woefully ignorant of the possible ramifications it might have for the running condition of my new bike. Specifically, I don't want to be messing up the engine.

I just talked to the dealer where I bought the bike, and they told me that I would have to do a "power commander" and the computer reflash if I were to install the slip ons because due to their increased flow, the bike would run lean and eventually ruin the motor.

I'm not one to trust people who are always wanting to sell you something, so I thought I'd ask some folks who may have real world experience with making this mod.

Is it necessary to do all that work if you install the slip ons?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
dtone72rss
Cruiser

yes, the power commander is a must if you are changing exaust. do not buy the power commander from Harley. go to the fuel moto website, the guys there will ask you exactly what intake and exaust you are going to be running and set up a perfect dyno map for youre bike. (much cheaper than HD and way better)

Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy at the V&H semi at Destination Daytona said if I just did slip-ons and didn't also do a MAP, I would kill baby Jesus.

The guy at the V&H semi at the Speedway said If all I was doing was slip-ons, I didn't need fuel management.

The exhaust system remains stock...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

You should be fine just adding the slip ons. I'm far from an expert but most fuel management systems are designed to be used with a hi-flow intake installed. When you're ready to do that you'll be amazed how much better and cooler the bike will run with the tuner, intake and slip ons (stage1).

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Nashville
Tourer

You should be fine just adding slip ons.
More important, make sure you spend $5 for new clamps- don't try to reuse the old ones.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
jmcgill89
Novice

This is exactly what I was afraid of....the dreaded 'conflicting opinions'.

I would LOVE to do the intake, mapping, power commander, fuel thingamabob, and all that, but I don't have the cash. I just shelled out for my new bike, so I'm poor.

I was hoping I could get off cheap with just the $300 for the slip ons.

Would stuff like a power commander void my warranty if I did it with someone else?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be fine. I ran it for 1.5 years. I'm running short shots now without a PCV or any ECM. When mess with the air cleaner is when you really need the ECM's.

I have a set of V&H slip ons I'm going to be selling once I get some time, they are just sitting in the garage right now. I just gotta take pics and post them. PM me if you're interested.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

You can change the exhaust and run stock breather without hurting the motor. When it comes to the power commander and breather you do not need the harley download. Got my pcIII from fuel moto, they are great to work with just told them what I had as far as exhaust and breather and they loaded the map before they sent it to me.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
dyeates
Cruiser

I ran my 09 flhx with just slip ons for over a year, no problems. Once I changed out the air filter then I went with a v&h fuelpak. Easy install.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Nashville
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmcgill89
This is exactly what I was afraid of....the dreaded 'conflicting opinions'.
I see you are a new poster, with 4 posts.
Be sure to use the search function. It's a great tool. It will bring up a ton of threads on this subject. You can read through the posts and make your decision.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines Slip Ons Questions