Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 AM
jeh83
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bars

Ive done alot of searching and seen alot of good tips but still cant find a few things. Got a 09 superglide and going to get 12 or 14 inch apes. When internal wiring where do you cut the wires? Put the connections in the bars or is the wiring long enough to go through bars and make connection outside when ran through? Also is it ok to leave the wires bare or put some sort of wrap on the inside? Any advice would be appreciated..

Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

the best this to do in my opinion is to pull your current wires through the bars (you don't need anything wrapped around them for protection, just go slow to make sure you don't rub the entry or exit holes and cut into the wires) you plan on using and see if you need to extend them at all first. This process, if the cables are not long enough, will give you an idea of how much length you will need. I prefer to do my splicing all outside the bars this way it is easier to trouble shoot ans fix any issues. If you paln on cutting the wires, cut them 3-5" from the connector. This is so you have enought wire on both sides of the splice for mistakes and future changes. I think it would be best to figure out how much wire you need to add and just order an extension kit, much easier and faster. You will need to cover the splices with heat shrink to protect the bare wires and keep things from shorting out.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
jeh83
Intermediate

I've seen street bobs have long wires pushed in the frame but did not know if superglides had the same harness.I was looking at some kits that have the cables and extensions included. Havent pulled the trigger yet just got the bike off the jack so now i can figure ot what size bars i need.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jeh83
I've seen street bobs have long wires pushed in the frame but did not know if superglides had the same harness.I was looking at some kits that have the cables and extensions included. Havent pulled the trigger yet just got the bike off the jack so now i can figure ot what size bars i need.
Just pull the big rubber grommet out of the neck and (gently) pull the wire bundle out. You should be able to tell how much slack you have.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
electroshiro
Intermediate

As far as I'm aware HD lists the same part numbers for all the handlebar switch harnesses on later Dynas. I've just removed Street Bob apes to put a set of Sportster Iron 'bars on and there was still quite a bit tucked in the frame with the apes. And the Molex connectors at the plugs are really easy to disassemble compared to Deutsch.