Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Grind Mod....Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Grind Mod....Finally!

Well I finally got around to grinding the nub off my FXDB key, allowing me to remove the key from the ignition after turning the bike on and I have to wonder...why did I wait so long to do this stupid mod?!?! It literally took a matter of seconds and is hands down one of the best mods I've done yet. No more annoying key chain flapping in the wind, dulling my frame. Just turn the bike on, put the key back in your pocket and off you go. If you have a Dyna that requires you leave the key in the ignition when riding, DO THIS MOD! You will not regret it.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Basic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I might have to do this...only thing I don't like about my bike is the key setup.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 AM
RebelGlide
Cruiser

Do you have a link to this mod...Or more details I am a newb around here

Thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
Well I finally got around to grinding the nub off my FXDB key, allowing me to remove the key from the ignition after turning the bike on and I have to wonder...why did I wait so long to do this stupid mod?!?! It literally took a matter of seconds and is hands down one of the best mods I've done yet. No more annoying key chain flapping in the wind, dulling my frame. Just turn the bike on, put the key back in your pocket and off you go. If you have a Dyna that requires you leave the key in the ignition when riding, DO THIS MOD! You will not regret it.
To each their own I guess, I don't like the stock key location either but I won't grind the nub down. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing this as if you misplace your key after and ride out somewhere there would be no way to turn the ignition off. I just use some polish to fix up the frame and keep it from dulling.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder why the MoCo chose to use a different lock for the FXDB? The key is removable on my '10 FXDC. I checked the parts catalog, and sure enough, it's a different part number.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
To each their own I guess, I don't like the stock key location either but I won't grind the nub down. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing this as if you misplace your key after and ride out somewhere there would be no way to turn the ignition off. I just use some polish to fix up the frame and keep it from dulling.
I feel the same way, but then again you could always loose you keys to you car , granted the car wouldn't be on. Just a chance you would have to take. What I'd worry about is walking off after I get off the bike and it still be on(lights) and draining the battery.I like the idea , just have to think about it a bit more b4 I commit.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just zip tied a lock pouch near the key switch, and lengthened the fob to key with a leather lace. I place the fob in the pouch and snap it when I ride.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Handsome
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I like the idea too but also have worries, like draining the battery etc. But as most of us have 2 keys you could mod one of them and leave the other original, then you have both options

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this mod a couple of years back and it becomes second nature to turn the bike on and off.....Great mod, simple, fast and free.....

Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride with just the bare key in the lock, no fob. When I get where I'm going I just remove the key and put it in the watch pocket on my jeans. Haven't lost it yet(famous last words).

Quick Reply: Key Grind Mod....Finally!