Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Grind Mod....Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have walked off more times than I would like to admit with the key still in the ignition reminding me to turn it off, hate to think what that would be if it were in my pocket and not thinking about it. Hands down the best mod I made was to move the ignition to the dash, no key needed period and the fob stays in the pocket! What sucks is I find myself still bending over to switch it off every once in a while.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 447 Posts

I use a soft key fob....it isn't compulsory for Harley riders to have their keys on a chain you know ;-)

Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
goblin127
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what nub do you file off?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I use a soft key fob....it isn't compulsory for Harley riders to have their keys on a chain you know ;-)
I also used a soft rubber keychain with only my bike key on it....still dulled the frame and actually wore it down to metal in one spot.

Originally Posted by goblin127
So what nub do you file off?
It's the single nub sticking up off the outside circumference of the key....when inserting the key into the ignition it will be at 12 o'clock. Grind/file this nub down until it is gone and you're left with a clean round circle.

Check this thread for more info:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...pin-fob-2.html

Old 03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
This.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
goblin127
Tourer

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
I also used a soft rubber keychain with only my bike key on it....still dulled the frame and actually wore it down to metal in one spot.

It's the single nub sticking up off the outside circumference of the key....when inserting the key into the ignition it will be at 12 o'clock. Grind/file this nub down until it is gone and you're left with a clean round circle.

Check this thread for more info:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...pin-fob-2.html
I'm going to give this a shot. thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Outlaw85wilk
Advanced

I like the idea but I am afraid like many others that I would walk off with the bike still on. I catch myself walking off with the key still in the bike all the time.
As far as key chains scratching my frame I use a small rock climbing style clip for my keys. I just detach the key (bike key has its own key ring) from it the clip when I am ready to ride and use it that way. Nothing dangling from the key to scratch the frame

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Basic
Road Captain

Just did this...can't believe I didn't think of this before. I've made a habit of using my key to turn the bike off, not the run switch so I'm not worried about leaving it on. Plus with the Dakota Digital guage lit up I doubt I'd ever hit the run switch and walk off without noticing the ignition still being on.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First I cut the red wire running to the ignition and routed it to a toggle switch above my horn. With my filed key, I turned the the key to "Run", and removed the key. Now I keep the key and fob zipped up in my jacket pocket at all times.

To start, and turn the bike off, I just use the toggle switch. The key and fob never leave my pocket. I'd only need the key to lock the forks or use the "ACC", but I very seldom have the need to do that, but I can if I choose. The bike won't start for anyone without the fob, so I'm good.

I just jump on the bike, flip the toggle and hit the start button. Having the toggle above the horn also reminds me to push the compression releases on top of the heads right next to it.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
klx677
Novice

I use velcro to stick the fob to the frame when I'm riding so it doesn't rub. I'm planning to move the igition to the dash pretty soon though.

Quick Reply: Key Grind Mod....Finally!