Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to maintain chromed lace wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to maintain chromed lace wheels?

I have a new Super Glide with chromed laced wheels. So far I washed the wheels with mild soap and water. I have been trying to wipe with a soft cloth moistened with Harley Gloss. It's pretty hard to get the little nooks between the spokes. I figure the best the thing to do is not use any harsh or abrasive cleaners on the wheels and wash frequently?

I'm a little worried about rust though. The plating looks pretty heavy duty on the spokes. Anybody have rusting issures after a few years? What do you all use to preserve the finish on the wheels?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If these are stock laced wheels, aren't they stainless spokes? They shouldn't rust. My 2006 Dyna's spokes look great and I've given them minimal care. Just get a soft brush that'll fit between the spokes and clean them when you wash the bike. Obviously don't use any abrasive cleaners on any part of your bike. You could spend days polishing, but these bikes are meant to RIDE!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the spray-on wheel cleaner and a stiff brush for the spokes. Mothers Chrome Polish on spokes and rims.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing is to keep them clean and don't let the brake dust stay on them too long, especially if you park the bike wet.
I just used a generic wheel brush and this one from HD works great between the spokes. Shout works good as a detergent. I also used an SOS pad, the SOS pad does not scratch the wheel or spokes.
My ultimate solution was going to mags.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Ditto on the wheel brush - does a nice job getting the spokes clean.
I just installed a FatBoy take off wheel on the rear, so I only have the front to clean from now.

I just installed new tires over the weekend. There was a fair amount of rust on the inside of my rims. Didn't really know what to do about it, so just gave it a cleaning, installed the new rim band, tube, tire and will worry about it the next tire change.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

The Mother's polishing ball works great too. It attaches to a cordless drill and makes light work of getting the wheels clean.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dynabobster
Best thing is to keep them clean and don't let the brake dust stay on them too long, especially if you park the bike wet.
I just used a generic wheel brush and this one from HD works great between the spokes. Shout works good as a detergent. I also used an SOS pad, the SOS pad does not scratch the wheel or spokes.
My ultimate solution was going to mags.

Exactly, very quick and easy to keep them clean often (mine every couple of weeks) brake dust is bad. I use Turtle wax chrome polish 2 times a season.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Here's an "oldie"....

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
In order to avoid sore fingers after cleaning the spokes, I made a few tools. Have fun making and using them!

1) Take a metal type coat-hanger and straighten the wire

2) Fold the two end towards each other and close the eye tight using pliers or a hammer

3)Bend the eye about 45° and solder both wires together to strengthen the tool

4) Cover the handle part using duct tape

5) Fold a piece of steel-wool together, slide it in the eye and apply a few drips of aluminum polish

6) Now you will be able to get access to every part of your spokes

7) Use a piece of cloth to finish the polish

8) You can also use an old tooth brush which is extended by using a piece of PVC pipe (as used to cover electrical wires)

Originally Posted by gdt3
You're bloody brilliant. Now just change that steel wool to an SOS pad and it will be perfect. The SOS pad leaves a film that keeps the rust away for a considerable time. I have to run now. I have a tool I have to make. :-)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default !

Pretty cool, Rene! You'd think somebody would have marketed an appropriate tool by now.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Another great thing to do is switch to brake pads that leave less dust. I switched to Lyndall Z pads on the front a while back and they really don't produce any brake dust.

Oh and a friend of mine has an 07 Street Bob like mine (it is denim black though) and it is covered in rust including his spokes. I would be scared to ride that thing with how rusted the spokes are. He lives by the ocean and has no garage. It makes me really sad to see a bike like that rusted all to hell.

Quick Reply: Best way to maintain chromed lace wheels?