Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to maintain chromed lace wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spokes HD uses right now are stainless steel covered with zinc - at least according to my local HD dealer and the service manual on my 2010 SB. My bike is outside year round (tho I don't get winters here or super low temps) and the spokes have a whole bunch of rust on them.. wadding polish works great - I am inclined to try wd40 on a cloth.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really took note of all the posts on this thread and will try them.

I own a 2007 Street Bob. I bought my bike used (3-1/2yrs old) and my spokes were horrible.

I first washed them down with soap and tar remover (+1 on the wheel brush, I have 2 different kinds of um). Then I had to rub down each spoke with 600grit sand paper just to get them smooth enough to keep from tearing my polish rag. Don't know if it was rust, but it looked like rust and the top layer material looked exploded some.

Anyhow I got them smooth enough to polish them and from 4ft away they look pretty good now. But if you look up real close you can still see the rough areas. Not sure what material mine are made of. I did not see any copper coming thru when I sanded them but it might be showing some of the nickel layer of the chrome process. Don't know.

I now use a tooth brush to apply the chrome or metal polish, then wipe most of it off with a rag and then take a small drill power ball buffer to them. By wiping them first it keeps the power ball from slinging white residue all over my black stuff.

Do know one thing, one day I'm gonna replace them with cast wheels. Maybe like a 9 spoke setup.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my stockers I used cotton rags and mothers mag polish and my wheels looked spotless. I sold them and installed a set of Blackbike built wheels, with polished hubs and stainless spokes. These things just wipe clean much easier than HD zinc spokes, and I use a showroom drywash available at any dealership jap shop.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 PM
BCKNBLK
Tourer

Not that my FXDC is that old (2400 miles), but when I first got it home I put Zaino All In One on the rims and topped it off with the Zaino Clear Seal and even though they get a bit dusty from the brake dust nothing seems to stick to them and I can wipe them off with just a little Zaino detail spray and microfiber. I do plan on going to a less dusting brake pad.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
R-Jay
Road Captain

Dump the spokes and get some mags!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a set of bicycle brushes by Park Tools, that work great on spokes and other tough spots.

You can probably find them at REI in the US, or MEC in Canada.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
dynabobster
Tourer

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Really took note of all the posts on this thread and will try them.

I own a 2007 Street Bob. I bought my bike used (3-1/2yrs old) and my spokes were horrible.

I first washed them down with soap and tar remover (+1 on the wheel brush, I have 2 different kinds of um). Then I had to rub down each spoke with 600grit sand paper just to get them smooth enough to keep from tearing my polish rag. Don't know if it was rust, but it looked like rust and the top layer material looked exploded some.

Anyhow I got them smooth enough to polish them and from 4ft away they look pretty good now. But if you look up real close you can still see the rough areas. Not sure what material mine are made of. I did not see any copper coming thru when I sanded them but it might be showing some of the nickel layer of the chrome process. Don't know.

I now use a tooth brush to apply the chrome or metal polish, then wipe most of it off with a rag and then take a small drill power ball buffer to them. By wiping them first it keeps the power ball from slinging white residue all over my black stuff.

Do know one thing, one day I'm gonna replace them with cast wheels. Maybe like a 9 spoke setup.
My spokes were the same way, the previous owner did not take care of the wheels or more like it was because he kept the the bike out side covered. About an hour a wheel with an SOS pad and they came out real good, not perfect, but really looking good. Then I just kept up on the cleaning between rides to keep them looking good.

Also move away from the stock HD pads and go with Lyndall or the like dust free type pads.

One thing you have to be careful about wheel cleaners is the type meant for laced (steel) wheels will most likely damage the aluminum hub, so I would stay away from them. I, like JRK, also recommend shout.

The problem I see with yours though, is that you have damaged the spoke finish, chrome, zinc, whatever, by sanding them and unfortunately I doubt you will ever get them to look good again.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dynabobster
My spokes were the same way, the previous owner did not take care of the wheels or more like it was because he kept the the bike out side covered. About an hour a wheel with an SOS pad and they came out real good, not perfect, but really looking good. Then I just kept up on the cleaning between rides to keep them looking good.

Also move away from the stock HD pads and go with Lyndall or the like dust free type pads.

One thing you have to be careful about wheel cleaners is the type meant for laced (steel) wheels will most likely damage the aluminum hub, so I would stay away from them. I, like JRK, also recommend shout.

The problem I see with yours though, is that you have damaged the spoke finish, chrome, zinc, whatever, by sanding them and unfortunately I doubt you will ever get them to look good again.
Thanks for the info. My hubs still look pretty darn good after the intial polish up. The spokes will never look good at close up again. I tried (initially) to steel wool them, but the surface was so rough on the spokes it ripped the wool to pieces. I can live with them, the bike still looks pretty good. I do clean the dust off regularly with silicone polish/cleaner that is meant to be used in between wax jobs. But I really want to get some cast wheels of choice at some (monetary) time in the future. I've already been towed in once with a flat.