Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights and fog lights questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM
siramazing
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlights and fog lights questions

Hi All-
02 Dyna lowrider. I am not happy with the stock Dyna headlight-just not enought light being thrown on the road. Is there a different light that I could put on that bike without huge amounts of modifications and money? I have replaced the bulbs with new, brighter bulbs than the original 02 had, but I'm still not happy. What about engine guard mounted fog lights? Would that do the trick?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Default RE: headlights and fog lights questions

No, they wouldn't. If you want more light on the road, get driving lights. If you're riding in fog/rain, get fog lights. They are very differant.

Have you considered a HID light? Expensive, but might be worth it to you.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
el_lobo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving lights --- Kuryakyn Silver Bullets have worked very well for my FXDI for 1 1/2 years. The "large" ones are about the same size and shape as the stock turn signals, they mount nicely on the forks (there are other mount types, too), and they throw out great light. They throw out better light than the stock headlight on high beam. Cost was about $100 for the pair.

bobcowan's right, fog lights are best for fog only. Sounds what you're looking for is driving lights.

El Lobo
'05 FXDI

Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
siramazing
Cruiser

OK, it is clear that driving lights is the way to go. But what is an HID light? Sigh, being a newbie is tough work.
Bill

Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
StreetSalvation
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: el_lobo

Driving lights --- Kuryakyn Silver Bullets have worked very well for my FXDI for 1 1/2 years. The "large" ones are about the same size and shape as the stock turn signals, they mount nicely on the forks (there are other mount types, too), and they throw out great light. They throw out better light than the stock headlight on high beam. Cost was about $100 for the pair.

bobcowan's right, fog lights are best for fog only. Sounds what you're looking for is driving lights.

El Lobo
'05 FXDI

Do you happen to have a parts list for the lights? How did you install? Difficulty level? Just wanting pretty much a walk thru and maybe a pic also. Thanks

Street

Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

ORIGINAL: siramazing

OK, it is clear that driving lights is the way to go. But what is an HID light? Sigh, being a newbie is tough work.
Bill

HID = High Intensity Discharge. Look at a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and if you notice the lights that have a blue hue to them, those are HID. Much brighter than halogen and they draw less than halogen. I a HID setup on J&P Cycles catalog that was ~ $500.

I went with a HID driving light for my car and the increased light these HID bulbs really light up the road.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM
StreetSalvation
Cruiser

Totally agree with the HIDs. I have the HIDs and a projection lens combo on my 328is and I don't understand how I Lived w/o it. I do not like driving other peoples cars because the dif is night and day. Everyone else hates them tho. I would like to do it to my bike but i am gonna wait til i know what headlight i like.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 PM
el_lobo
3rd Gear

Do you happen to have a parts list for the lights? How did you install? Difficulty level? Just wanting pretty much a walk thru and maybe a pic also. Thanks

Street
Sorry, I don't have a parts list. Bought the lights from the local H-D dealer. You might want to check the Kuryakyn site http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.asp

As far as installation, a friend, who is a certified auto tech took care of that for me. I stay away from electrical installations. Not that they're necessarily hard, but he can do it three times as fast and still have it be a neater installation --- like figuring out how to mount the switch under the handlebar clamp where it's accessible but mostly out of sight. He's out of town now, but I'll get back to you ASAP on how he'd rate installation ease. I'll also get some pics as soon as I get the memory card error taken care of on my camera.

El Lobo

Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 PM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

Hi All-
02 Dyna lowrider. I am not happy with the stock Dyna headlight-just not enought light being thrown on the road. Is there a different light that I could put on that bike without huge amounts of modifications and money? I have replaced the bulbs with new, brighter bulbs than the original 02 had, but I'm still not happy. What about engine guard mounted fog lights? Would that do the trick?
Thanks,
Bill
================================================== ====

I'm an older rider and try real hard not to do too much night driving. However in the interest in making my bike more visible I mounted the HD foggers on my engine guard. See pix below...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/2CC5BE990D754BF3BA043A4ECBCCA4B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this site: danielsternlighting.com I swapped out the HL on my '04 FXD for a new reflector and bulb, under $90.00 and it makes a HUGE difference in the light output, direct bolt in swap for the stocker. I also added the HD passing lights which adds some more more light in the evening, better yet, it makes you more visible during the day also.

Quick Reply: headlights and fog lights questions