Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting New Apes For '07 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Po2387
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting New Apes For '07 Street Bob

Hey guys I am considering going to some taller apes than my mini's on the Bob now. I like the 14" black Wild1 Chubby Outlawz apes. Just was wondering what others had/thought on the idea? I want something to give me a little more pullback without getting too high that I lose feeling in my arms. Also, for this install would I need to worry about wires as well as cable extensions or can I get away with stock wire length? Thanks for any feedback

Old 03-17-2011, 05:51 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Po2387
Hey guys I am considering going to some taller apes than my mini's on the Bob now. I like the 14" black Wild1 Chubby Outlawz apes. Just was wondering what others had/thought on the idea? I want something to give me a little more pullback without getting too high that I lose feeling in my arms. Also, for this install would I need to worry about wires as well as cable extensions or can I get away with stock wire length? Thanks for any feedback
I just installed 14's on my bike. I went with the Santee 1 1/4" model. The pullback on mine feel pretty good and at 6' tall I think the height is perfect for me. As far as wiring and cables go, you will hear a ton of opinions on this as far as being able to use the stock cables or not with 14's. What I've learned is it really depends on the model bars you get because the width plays a big factor as well as the height. I can say in my situation I was able to get away with a stock length brake cable, but that was it. There was no way my stock throttle or clutch cables would work. I went +4 for those. As far as wiring, there is plenty on the street bobs so I didn't have to extend any of it.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
mccalljv
Cruiser

Just put HCC 16" on and didn't need to extend wires, cables yes. But as nkauf21 said, will also depend on width of bars.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 AM
h2o
Road Captain

I installed 14" burly's this winter. I just had the opportunity to take the bike out this week and so far I love the look and how they feel. I haven't put on too many miles yet so I don't know how they will be long distance yet but so far, it was a great decision. I could have gotten away with my stock wires but I did add 4". I didn't buy the kid, I soldered in my own. I bought new cables because my stock ones would not have fit.

Last edited by h2o; 03-17-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Po2387
Cruiser

So, I found the 16" Lick's narrow apes (28" wide) and the 16" Paughco straight ape (34" Wide) handlebars. Would the wiring have plenty of length for either of those? Also, any opinions on either brands for which is better? I want black apes which makes me want the Lick's, but the Paughco is cheaper and I plan to powder coat parts anyway. I feel like the Paughco stay true to the stock apes shape better too, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
iambillbraskey
Advanced

I got the burly 14 narrow apes they were super easy, the only thing i needed was an extended brake line. they look and feel great

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
jbrown4217
Cruiser

I have 16" Burly narrows. They basically are almost identical to stock except obviously taller. I bought their cable kit that comes with throttle cables, clutch cable and wiring kit. I had plenty of wiring so i didn't use the kit. Total cost of bars and kit is about $345.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Po2387
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iambillbraskey
I got the burly 14 narrow apes they were super easy, the only thing i needed was an extended brake line. they look and feel great
Any chance I could see a pic of your bike with the 14's?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Admiral
Novice

nkauf21,
Is this the updated picture with the new Santee bars?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Po2387
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nkauf21
I just installed 14's on my bike. I went with the Santee 1 1/4" model. The pullback on mine feel pretty good and at 6' tall I think the height is perfect for me. As far as wiring and cables go, you will hear a ton of opinions on this as far as being able to use the stock cables or not with 14's. What I've learned is it really depends on the model bars you get because the width plays a big factor as well as the height. I can say in my situation I was able to get away with a stock length brake cable, but that was it. There was no way my stock throttle or clutch cables would work. I went +4 for those. As far as wiring, there is plenty on the street bobs so I didn't have to extend any of it.
How do you like the Santee apes? I have saw them and would like to go a little a with 1 1/4" bars rather than an inch. Only others I have in mind is the 14" Burly Narrows. They look great on your bike brother.

Quick Reply: Wanting New Apes For '07 Street Bob