Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling 2006 Wide Glides

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Larry Sanders
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling 2006 Wide Glides (and other Dyna's maybe?)

I've got my eye on a 2006 Wide Glide and there seems to be a few comments about how the 2006 has some issues.

For those that have a 2006 model, how many miles do you have and do you have the problems that people talk about with engine, transmission, bearing, and/or injectors... or whatever else?

Please tell your personal experience, not what you learned by reading the forums.

Thanks!!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Sanders
I've got my eye on a 2006 Wide Glide and there seems to be a few comments about how the 2006 has some issues.

For those that have a 2006 model, how many miles do you have and do you have the problems that people talk about with engine, transmission, bearing, and/or injectors... or whatever else?

Please tell your personal experience, not what you learned by reading the forums.

Thanks!!
Mechanically, all 2006 Dyna's are the same. It doesn't matter is it's a Wide Glide, Super Glide, or Street Bob. Same engine, primary, and trans with the potential to have the same problems. I have a 2006 Street Bob and here is my personal experience.

I have 16000 on mine and I just had my inner primary bearing (also called the main shaft bearing) replaced because it was on the way out. While it was apart I had the 2 piece stator/rotor assembly replaced with the 1 piece welded unit from the 2007 and later bikes. My original stator/rotor was in perfect condition when removed. All of the bolts were tight and there were no signs of them backing out. But for peace of mind and because everything was apart anyways I had it replaced. Mine may have never gone out, but at the same time it could have while very far from home and that would have not been a good day.

Otherwise, my bike has been great and I have had no issues with it. If I was in the market now, I would probably get an '07 or later unless the deal for the '06 is to good to pass up. But already owning mine, these issues aren't big enough to make me want to get rid of it.

Last edited by nkauf21; 03-17-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an '06 also. When I first got it it used to worry me that any of those things could go wrong. So far everything has worked fine. The previous owner did buy an extended warranty on the bike that covers it till 2012. That gave me a little piece of mind but bottom line is that the inner primary bearing issue has been resolved with an aftermarket Baker replacement which is about $35 I believe and the 2 piece stator can also be easily replaced or better yet if you have it out to do the inner primary you can simply have it spot welded and save the expense of buying a new one. In my case I'm just going to keep enjoying the ride and if it fails the I'll fix it. If my warranty is about to run out and nothing has happened I may take it apart and replace the bearing and weld the stator. Either way if you find a good deal like I did on my bike it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nkauf21
I have 16000 on mine and I just had my inner primary bearing (also called the main shaft bearing) replaced because it was on the way out. While it was apart I had the 2 piece stator/rotor assembly replaced with the 1 piece welded unit from the 2007 and later bikes. My original stator/rotor was in perfect condition when removed. All of the bolts were tight and there were no signs of them backing out.

Same experience with mine with one exception, I left the rotor/stator alone since all looked well. I put another 4k on it and the rotor failed the day I got back from a trip! It now has the newer rotor/stator combo and a Baker bearing.....no more worries here.