Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used in Florida and getting a tag in GA??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
rmodel65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying used in Florida and getting a tag in GA??

so ive found one of the bikes im interest in across the border in Florida.....what is registration situation like?? ive heard that Florida kills yous when you buy come from out of state with their sales tax....what about bringing a bike from Florida to Georgia? are they gonna bust my *****?????

Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna buy a NEW Florida bike and I reside in NC. The only fee I had to pay dealer was $299.00 setup for the new bike, NC DMV were to collect NC tax upon title transfer based on Total of Bill Of Sale. That was from a Florida dealer.

If I were to buy USED bike out of state I just buy the bike for asking price (no tax) and pay taxes upon registering in NC.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
rmodel65
Tourer

i just wonder if there will be any tax....when you buy something used in GA there is no tax you only pay ad valorem....

Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rmodel65
i just wonder if there will be any tax....when you buy something used in GA there is no tax you only pay ad valorem....
You'll just pay a lot more for your tag. I found a good deal on a bike in Louisiana, tag's probably double what it would have been had I bought the bike here.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you buying used from a dealer in Florida? Or from a private person? If you're buying from a private party, there's no sales tax in either state. You'll pay the ad valorem, the title fee ($18) and the tag fee.

I live in Columbus GA and went to Tallahassee FL to buy my bike from Capital City HD last month. They collected the state sales tax for Georgia and the title transfer fee (and I had to pay the dealer's documentation fee, which irritated me). They collected no FL tax.

Two weeks later I got a letter from the dealership telling me that my paperwork was confirmed as being in GA at my county tag office.

I had to pay my county sales tax and the registration fee (and provide proof of insurance) - Florida had already forwarded all the fees and paperwork to my tag office. The person at the tag office desk had no problem figuring out what to do.

A week later I got my title in the mail(but I paid cash, so no lien involved).

All in all, it was a very easy process, and apart from the dealer's stupid "Documentation Fee" I don't feel like I was robbed. (FWIW, I didn't fight the doc fee too hard, because I wanted the bike, the price was good, and there was literally another buyer standing there waiting for me to decide whether I wanted the bike.)

Oh... One More Thing. I had to pay the COUNTY sales tax at the county Dept of Revenue, which is three miles from the tag office. Take your bill of sale to the county revenue office first - so you don't have to wait in line to be told (at the tag office) that you have to pay county taxes first.

Also, in Muscogee county, the county Department of Revenue ONLY takes USPS Money Orders and Bank Certified Checks. I went with cash... waited in line... then had to go buy a certified check. Then waited in line again to pay.

Don't get me started on why a Government office will not accept US Money that is printed with "Legal Tender for all debts public and private."

Hope this helps. And I won't be held liable for any errors or omissions.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
rmodel65
Tourer

only gold and silver are legal tender :P

yeah it will be a cash sale if i goes this route....i just dont want to be hit with 7% on top of the bikes value...i could just pay full msrp and tax here and have a brand new bike...the one im looking at is a 2010 with 150 miles on it

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't need to pay FL sales tax if you take the bike out of state. This is the same for most other things too. The only exception is if you buy from a company that has retail stores in both states. Then they get you for the tax.