Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Frustrated!

I ordered a set of Ride Wright fat 50's through Dr-Vtwin a little over a month ago. It took nearly a month for them to come in but I blew that off as my fault for ordering a strange color combo. I have nothing but good things to say about Dr-Vtwin in this purchase, Ride Wright I am starting to have issues with however. I am hoping that when I call them today once they open we can get the latest problem solved.

It took what seemed like forever to get my wheels but I am usually a patient man so I sucked it up and waited. Once they arrived they were magnificent. I took it up to the dealer to have the wheels put on (dont lecture me on doing my own work please) and was informed that i was missing the pulley spacer. I called Ride Wright and they shipped one out that day, customer service was great! The part came in yesterday and the dealer calls me this morning and lets me know that Ride Wright put 2 front rotors and no rear rotor in the box. I want my bike back so they are going to install my old rotor on my brand new fancy custom wheels, should look like **** but I will be able to ride.

I am super pissed right now, I am not rich folks and putting together enough coin to buy custom wheels was a squeeze for me. I will be calling Ride Wright when they open to see about getting my rotor. The question here is, Do I just leave the old rotor on there and deal with the situation or do I pay to have the new rotor installed? Am I overreacting? Should I just calm down and deal with the situation or do I have a reason to be pissed?

Should have just bought the PM wheels maybe. Might have had the same issues I suppose.

Done venting, any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't blame you for being frustrated. They've messed your order up several times.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the rotor comes in, follow these steps:

Step 1) Take a breath
Step 2) Drink a beer
Step 3) Go to Sears and buy a Torque wrench if you don't already have one
Step 4) Stop by dealership and buy new brake rotor bolts on way home
Step 5) If you don't have a jack, find some way of blocking up your bike enough to remove your wheel, it's not that hard
Step 6) Open manual to Rear wheel removal and follow the steps listed, it's pretty straight forward (I prefer to keep my spacers laid out on the side of the bike I removed them from, so I don't mix them up later)
Step 7) Remove old rotor
Step 8) Install new rotor, using new bolts
Step 9) Torque new rotor bolts
Step 10) Install wheel following steps listed in manual, hardest part is keeping the spacers in while installing the axle. Some people have been known to use a ratchet or screwdriver in one side to keep the spacer from falling while starting the axle at the other side. Some people also reverse the axle at this point so that the nut is on the exhaust side. Stock configuration has the head on the exhaust side which usually means you have to remove either a muffler or the lower shock bolts to remove the axle. It's up to you.
Step 11) Find a wire hanger (try not to remember Mommie Dearest) and a small piece of rubber or grommet or something that will fit or can be punctured by said hanger
Step 12) Cut the hanger hook off and straighten it out, then bend it at 90* about 2 inches from one end
Step 13) From the long straight end of the hanger, slide on your piece of rubber (congratulations-you've just made a custom tool!)
Step 14) Look at your swing arm and you'll see what looks like a weep hole just in front of the axle, that's for aligning the rear wheel and is where we will be sticking the 2" portion of the bent hanger
Step 15) Follow the directions in the manual for tightening your belt, using the rubber on your hanger to ensure your axle is equally spaced on both sides
Step 16) Torque the axle
Step 17) Lower the bike
Step 18) Pump the brakes a few times
Step 19) Short test ride
Step 20) Repeat step 2 until you forget about being angry and enjoy the feeling of satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Daniel B.
Intermediate

It happens when humans are involved but I don't blame you for being pissed. I'm waiting on a Danny Gray seat at the moment and am determined to project positive energy that they will fill my order correctly and on time. At least we aren't dodging bullets and bombs yet.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain

Phrogman, I have my ASE master cert. It has nothing to do with tools or ability. I have spent a lot of years fixing other peoples crap and used to work on my stuff for fun as well. As the years went on I got tired of working on cars so the hot rods went away. Now with this bike I decided that I didnt want to work on it, I did all the work on my 47 before my stupidity and some black ice ended that bike. I am perfectly capable of doing the job, but I just want to climb on a bad *** bike and ride. With this mistake I will probably end up having to do the job myself due to my budget being shot now, that is a big part of what is pissing me off. I had enough money to buy the wheels I wanted and pay someone else to install them, now I have to pay for the install and do the work myself!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
DYJ
Road Captain

I'd be pissed too... but **** happens. I bet those wheels are gonna look saweeeeeet and be worth all this frusteration when they're done though!~

Last edited by DYJ; 03-09-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

I wasn't trying to question your abilities, I was actually trying to bring a little levity into it while passing on some good info, notice the jokes? I can understand that you may not want to do your own wrenching, heck I don't want to on my cars, but it's the only way that it gets done right most of the time anyway.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back over someone else's work to fix it on both cars and bikes.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain

Yeah, I appreciate the levity and sorry that my mood sucks. I suppose I will have to start wrenching on this bike as well. Was hoping that this time I could set it up how I want it and just do scheduled maintenance, but I suppose you are right. If I do the work I know it is right the first time.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Recommend you call Drew A DrVTwin - he's a great person to work with & will make it right...also a forum sponsored vendor so give him a chance...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

im sure ride wright is all screwed up becuase of the the shows that are going on....but they will make it right....its just the amount of time id have to wait is what would **** me off......

Quick Reply: Really Frustrated!