Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005 | 03:48 AM
harleybikeguy
|
Stage II
Default Another Newbie

Close to purchasing a new Dyna Super Glide.......tell me about its ride, handling, etc. Thanks.

hbg

Old 06-29-2005 | 08:36 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Another Newbie

Just bought one myself,

Although I really haven't ridden it much yet, it has a smooth ride to it, the clutch pull is easy and the cost is attractive as well. They have 28 degrees of rake so they're more resposive to steering inputs. I went with fuel injection. Haven't rode mine because I'm waiting for parts, as I got a $1,000 store credit, and have used it for Sreamin eagle type upgrades.

joe

Old 06-29-2005 | 09:01 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

HBG,

If you are going to be commuting, riding around town, carving the canyons, and doing 1 up touring, the SuperGlide is hard to beat. they handle well, have ample power, and are a good value.

If you plan on extensive touring with a passanger, you would do well to consider a touring model.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-29-2005 | 10:53 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

Last year I bought a 2004 1200r Sportster. It was a great bike (I put 11,000 miles on it) but I wanted something a little more comfortable.

On May13, 2005 I traded the Sporty on a 2005 FXDI.

The bike is a fantastic!!!!!

So far I have about 3000 miles on my Dyna and I couldn't be happier. While the Sportster was a great bike I always felt it was more suited for running the twisties. I never felt very comfortable cruising the interstates at speeds over 60 or 65mph and that is with the overly optimistic speedo. The Dyna is much more comfortable and is a wonderful bike for cruising the backroads or the interstates.

The Dyna is more of a cruiser. It is better suited for just sitting back a relaxing. It can be short shifted or run hard. You can sit back and cruise or you can go and have fun running the twisties. The bike does everything very well.

Compared to my Sportster I feel like I am riding my couch down the interstate when I am on my FXDI.

I could not picture myself riding my Sportster 10 years from now but I can see myself still riding my Dyna 10 years down the road.

Old 06-30-2005 | 12:51 AM
Dyna2005
Intermediate

Newbie,

If you buy a SuperGlide, break it in with patience (see Mechanic X's post for good break in and service advice). Wait until your 1,000 mile service and go with the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, remap (if you have EFI, jetting if carb'd). Add either the slash or bologna cut pipes, or SE's if you want more sound -- and enjoy. The single best (and maybe least expensive) performance investment you can make is the SE filter and pipes. Then you can start thinking about thousands of dollars worth of chrome, some Wild1 Chubby drag bars, forward controls and a custom seat. Half the fun in owning a SuperGlide is customizing it to your preferences one piece at time -- the other half is riding it safely.

Dyna2005

Old 06-30-2005 | 05:00 AM
Tonyp
Advanced

Of all the Harleys that I had ridden, the only one I would spend my hard earned money on was a Superglide. I don't care for forward controls, I'm just not into softails and didn't really need a full on touring bike. The only other Harleys that I was interested in were the Electraglide and the Road King. The Superglide is probably the most overlooked bike in the Harley line up, probably because the basic Superglide doesn't have much for chrome(which is fine by me). But when it comes to functionality I think the Superglide is better than any softail, it was built to be ridden and if you like to ride then you can't go wrong.

The bike rides nice, rear suspension is smooth and the bike turns well. I find the bike very relaxing to ride. I can ride it anywhere fast or slow and it is enjoyable.

Dislikes: the front brake sucks compared to what I'm used to, for the kind of money they charge for these bikes they should have dual brembo's on the front. The stock seat is good for about 5 miles, again they sell a better one in the catalog but it should be included to start with. I do wish the bike had more ground clearance also, it doesn't take much for me to grind the footpegs in a corner.

Old 07-02-2005 | 12:58 PM
helotaxi
Cruiser

The bike rides nice, rear suspension is smooth and the bike turns well. I find the bike very relaxing to ride. I can ride it anywhere fast or slow and it is enjoyable.
Ditto this. I just spent 3 weeks carving canyons all over the western US and Canada on my Low Rider. For a bike that many bash for poor handling, I had no trouble flat running away from 2 VTX1800s and a Vulcan 2000 in the twisties.

Dislikes: the front brake sucks compared to what I'm used to, for the kind of money they charge for these bikes they should have dual brembo's on the front.
This would be a recipe for disaster on a bike with a narrow front tire. Your ability to brake hard on these bikes is limited by traction, not the ability of the brakes to stop the wheel. I had a very close call on my trip locking up the front wheel when some cage stopped in the middle of an intersection.
The stock seat is good for about 5 miles, again they sell a better one in the catalog but it should be included to start with.
The stock seat is garbage, but including a better, more expensive one would be a waste as well. 95% of the riders would want something different no matter what was included stock to a throw-away seat makes sense.
I do wish the bike had more ground clearance also, it doesn't take much for me to grind the footpegs in a corner.
Never had trouble on my Low Rider unless the road was rough or the corner had a funny bank to it.

Old 07-02-2005 | 01:16 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Hi,

Well, I've been out "breaking in" my new superglide so I thought I'd chime in again....

With the air cleaner, mufflers, and re-calibration (for EFI) it has more than enough torque....

Suspension is soft, set up for just cruising....you can just push on the handlebars and the forks compress, so it rides real nice for me, but if you want a real handler, so with the sport model, or spend some extra $$$ for suspension mods.

Was following a guy on a 883 sporty yesterday, we came up on a car on a 2-lane road, when he went to pass, he had to drop a gear and punch it to get by, well, I just pushed out, and just laid into the throttle and I flew by the car and just about flew by him at the same time, so didn't need to shift, the torque makes it so that downshifting is a thing of the past

The S&S mufflers are going to be too loud for many, but for some it'll be great! on sustained rides, earplugs will keep a headache from ensuing.....

major complaint....vibration! [&o] It's my first Harley, so I guess I just have to get used to it. once you get the rev's up it smooths out, but at around 30-45 mph is just plain shakes, so either speed up, or shift down. Wasn't bad at all until I changed out the rubber footpegs for billet ones, now I get "all shook up!" ,also locked up the back tire twice when I really laid on the brakes (to brake the brake pads in)

On the positive side, it really rides smooth, and cruising at 55-60 the bike is in it's element. I'm finally getting used to the weight and size, and am overall happy about my purchase.

Stock seat seems okay, I've got a custom leather solo seat coming in from the dealer which hopefully will be more comfortable, after about 50 miles the stock seat starts to make my butt uncomfortable.

This is the bike to get! Either this, or a sporty 1200. 883's are sweet for around town, but the torque isn't there if you weigh anything close to 200lbs. or more! And I LOVE sporty's!

joe

Old 07-02-2005 | 09:07 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the forum! Can't help with your question (softail guy). Just wanted to say Hi.

Old 07-03-2005 | 12:41 PM
LoRyder
Novice

Dynas in my opion are the best handling HD bikes for corner carving
maybe not as comfortable on long long rides as a touring model
but really adgile for city and non free way rides, add a wind sheild some bags
get the oldlady her own ride and start living !!!

Quick Reply: Another Newbie