Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for batt cover band removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions for batt cover band removal

I bought a new battery cover so I need to remove my chrome band and re-apply it onto the new cover. Suggestions for taking the band off? Also, do I need special tape to re-apply or will standard 3M auto tape work?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 PM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine off by heating it with a hair dryer. It takes a bit of heat but it will come off. Also if you are careful you can re-use the tape thats on it. I heated the tape up and pressed it on.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjheff
I got mine off by heating it with a hair dryer. It takes a bit of heat but it will come off. Also if you are careful you can re-use the tape thats on it. I heated the tape up and pressed it on.
That might be correct for both of your bikes, it's also how my chrome HD replacement was fastened. However, my original '07 FXD's battery band was held on by four plastic pins that needed to be squeezed together with pliers and pried off in order to remove.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 AM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
That might be correct for both of your bikes, it's also how my chrome HD replacement was fastened. However, my original '07 FXD's battery band was held on by four plastic pins that needed to be squeezed together with pliers and pried off in order to remove.
Is it possible that only the chrome bands are held on by double sided tape? The battery box did have 4 holes in it. But was held on by the tape.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

My stock aluminum band was held on with the plastic pins. When I bought my chrome band there were four small studs that went through the holes, I assume for alignment purposes, but it was held on with the tape. That tape wasn't like anything I had seen and has worked great, so I am hoping I can get the band off without messing it up.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
doitinthewoods
Cruiser

Mine was held on by plastic pins four holes

Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Like others have said, the stock band is held on with the four pins molded on a plastic backing plate. The backing plate is taped to the band itself. When I replaced my stock band with the Willie G chrome band, it came with double sided adhesive tape and four pins for alignment. Since my original install of the Willie G band, I removed it and modded it (see picture). After I did my mods, I bought some of the 3M double sided heavy duty tape and used multiple layers of that to secure it back on the battery cover. So far so good...

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Iskra
Tourer

Never liked the batt strip myself

Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

I used a heat gun to remove my old one for my replacement worked fine the new one had the 4 pins for alignment and two sided tape already on the new one & have had no issues.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
mac b
Intermediate

If it is held on with glue, heat it with a hair drier and work some monofilament fishing line behind it. Use the line like a saw blade and it will pop off.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for batt cover band removal