Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by step 21" front on SB "LOTS OF PICS"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxod
Been trying to get an answer to this question for a while with no takers:

Im about to install the 21 inch "Jireh Wheel" on my SB and I want to use the Dunlop Elite 3 - 120/70-21, but it is a radial tire, which I read should not be installed on a rim with a tube? Is it safe to run this tire with a tube? If so, are you guys running a special tube and rim strip? Any part numbers would be a great help......

MaxX
Radial works fine. I have a radial on the rear also and they work great. I have another buddy running radials front and rear also. We both have spokes with tube. My indy mounted them both and it's the regular tube and strip. Sorry I don't have part numbers. My elite 3 front is badass and a great tire. The only reason I'm looking at Metz is to have a 100% matching rear, but I have not had any problems with the stocker in the rear with the elite and the roadsmart I'm running now in the rear. I have about 3-4k miles on the elite 3 and I love the tire. It doesn't even look like it's been used in tread depth. So the wear is going good so far. I don't know about 20-40k as mention above, but it should be decent. If it does that will be pimp, but I doubt it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 AM
rebelranger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I was shocked when he said that. Honestly, I'll replace it in three years regardless of miles, I typically put 5-8k yearly on the scoot.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
coachstorms
Tourer

running the same metz that nearly everyone else is.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coachstorms
running the same metz that nearly everyone else is.
Hmm!! I guess I'll see when I'm due for new tires.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I did this and just got the rim back from my indy who trued it. The tire was off a little to one side compared to the fender. It is off to the opposite side of the rotor. Why would this be, did he not true it correctly? What is the proper way to true a tire? Does it matter if the rotor is on the rim when being trued? I think he did it by eye. I really want to get this figured out soon, any help would be great.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rim has to be centered on the hub.Simple matter to fix. Loosen all the spokes on one side a quarter turn and tighten all the spokes on the other side. Tighten in the direction you want the rim to move.Repeat as necessary. Make sure as you move the rim over that you don't encounter interference with the brake caliper. You can do this with the wheel and tire already on the bike,just Jack the front end off the ground a bit.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy who trued it for me told me not to worry about it. I don't want to ride it like it is now. I'm going to see if he'll re-true it, if he doesn't want should I do? Any advice would be great. Should the wheel be centered to the fender?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 AM
stev0n
Road Master

I just ordered my rim today - $26 shipped!

I asked them if they would make an ebay buy it now for me so i could use my ebay bucks & coupons i've been saving. 10 minutes later I had an email with the auction number.

I can't say enough about jireh & cant wait til it gets here

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
pewter sb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1BadAssBob
Just did this mod with a wide glide hoop. You will love it!
Very cool looking bike.What year wide glide did the rim come from?The wider 21 looks good but i like the narrow better.Did u just buy the hoop and use your stock spokes like they do on the wide rim?Thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOMMAY
The rim has to be centered on the hub.Simple matter to fix. Loosen all the spokes on one side a quarter turn and tighten all the spokes on the other side. Tighten in the direction you want the rim to move.Repeat as necessary. Make sure as you move the rim over that you don't encounter interference with the brake caliper. You can do this with the wheel and tire already on the bike,just Jack the front end off the ground a bit.

I would not reccomend this without a dial inidcator and a spoke torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Step by step 21" front on SB "LOTS OF PICS"