Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by step 21" front on SB "LOTS OF PICS"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
coachstorms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same only i had the hoop powdered first. But beware of one thing... after about a 30 mile ride home from the wheel shop and spending a little time wondering if i was hearing something i get home and find that my fender had been rubbing on the brand new metzler...suck. It's not very bad, there was only a little bit of rubber built up on the brace on the underside of the fender. So i pulled the fender and ground out the holes in an oval shape to allow the fender to sit about a 1/4 of an inch higher. Should solve the problem... i say should because it has been sitting at the dealership for some warranty work ever since (but thats a whole different story). I ordered a Burly kit for the front as well to level the bike back out, think it needs to be dropped about an inch.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bmf73
Great thread.
I have been thinking about doing this for awhile now. Did not know that the the spokes from the 19" wheel would work on the 21".
You have to make sure you get the rim from Jeirh cycles to use the stock 19" spokes. The you lace it 1 over 3 and it's good to go. If you use say the ride wright 21" you'll have to use the 21" spokes and lace it 1 over as well. The reson for the difference is that the drop center difference (where the spokes go into the rim). The Jerih rim is a 1/4" taller which allows you to use the 19" spokes.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coachstorms
I did the same only i had the hoop powdered first. But beware of one thing... after about a 30 mile ride home from the wheel shop and spending a little time wondering if i was hearing something i get home and find that my fender had been rubbing on the brand new metzler...suck. It's not very bad, there was only a little bit of rubber built up on the brace on the underside of the fender. So i pulled the fender and ground out the holes in an oval shape to allow the fender to sit about a 1/4 of an inch higher. Should solve the problem... i say should because it has been sitting at the dealership for some warranty work ever since (but thats a whole different story). I ordered a Burly kit for the front as well to level the bike back out, think it needs to be dropped about an inch.
+1 Definitely check your fender before riding. I didn't have to drill anything out on mine. I had to just play with the angle and lift it a hair and it worked fine. You have less then 1/8" of clearance on each side.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM
rebelranger
Advanced

Ok today I'll update this with the pictures. Right now I have the wheel on and there is quite a bit of room, so I'll do some fender alignment and post up.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
coachstorms
Tourer

I originally did the same, lifted the fender as far as the holes wold let me and then played with the angle til the space seemed right. Everything was all good until the rubber heated up and then as it expanded at about 70-85 mph I could hear just a slight rubbing noise, so i slowed my *** down and took the scenic way home to check it out and found that it had been touching a little. I suppose with a 1000 miles or so of wear it wouldn't be a problem any more but i decided to raise the fender a little instead of taking the wait and see approach.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
rebelranger
Advanced

Pictures added, the new 21" Dunlop Elite really fills that front fender perfect! On the test trip the bike has less sway and just feels more stable at speed, I already love it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coachstorms
I originally did the same, lifted the fender as far as the holes wold let me and then played with the angle til the space seemed right. Everything was all good until the rubber heated up and then as it expanded at about 70-85 mph I could hear just a slight rubbing noise, so i slowed my *** down and took the scenic way home to check it out and found that it had been touching a little. I suppose with a 1000 miles or so of wear it wouldn't be a problem any more but i decided to raise the fender a little instead of taking the wait and see approach.
What tire are you running?? I'm running the Dunlop Elite and I hit 120 and no rubbing. Just so I know what to look at when I'm due for a new front. Thanks!!

Last edited by JaronB; 03-07-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rebelranger
Pictures added, the new 21" Dunlop Elite really fills that front fender perfect! On the test trip the bike has less sway and just feels more stable at speed, I already love it.
I'm running the same front. I wish I had rear rim that for an available size of the Elite rears.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
rebelranger
Advanced

Well I should get another season out of my SE rear and then I am going with a 19" rear. 180/55/19 I believe the correct size is. My indy said the elite front should get 20-40000 miles!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
maxxod
Banned

Been trying to get an answer to this question for a while with no takers:

Im about to install the 21 inch "Jireh Wheel" on my SB and I want to use the Dunlop Elite 3 - 120/70-21, but it is a radial tire, which I read should not be installed on a rim with a tube? Is it safe to run this tire with a tube? If so, are you guys running a special tube and rim strip? Any part numbers would be a great help......

MaxX

Quick Reply: Step by step 21" front on SB "LOTS OF PICS"