Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Difference in power is not worth the expense.

Only time I will open the cam chest, is if it's a PRE '06 bike, and need to get rid of the crappy chain follower arrangement.

Since you have a 2010.....just ride it as is.

~Joe

Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Guaranty?

If you supply the parts, who supplies the guaranty/warranty?
The same as auto repair (I'm in the industry) I would assume that you would get no warranty on the job. The mechanic points his finger at the part and the parts store point their finger at the mechanic. You are stuck in the middle. Some times it pays to "allow" the mechanic to supply the part, even at a higher cost, so that you only have one person to point a finger at if something isn't right.
also -
With a mechanic you usually get what you pay for, ESPECIALLY when opening up a motor or trans. I would rather err on the side of caution than try to save a few bucks. REPUTATION IS EVERYTHING when it come to a mechanic. A poor choice of mechanic could cost you your ride.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

If you supply the parts, who supplies the guaranty/warranty?
I would not ask for a warranty. I do expect to be charged per hour what the shop charges for the time that the job takes. NOT A PENNY MORE! (Since we are using bold print with all caps)

Okay. So your saying since your in the industry you condone charging 5.5 hours over what the book says the job takes, and that guarantees that you're a good mechanic. Essentially saying the guy who takes longer and costs more is considered to be the best.

I think that the guy who charges what the book says at a decent cost per hour, and anything over is his problem is the best, and would probably have a better reputation being that the work is equal and satisfactory. If he has to stop to answer the phone, deal with customers, stop to put a tire on for someone; why am I responsible for that time? Do you do the same? Do you charge for your bathroom breaks and dealing with other customers, or are you a stand up guy who charges how long the book says the job takes? I am not accusing, but just asking your practices since "you're in the industry."

Cost more, takes longer does not guarantee better service. Charging less per hour by $25, and then marking up time by 5 hours does not make you a reputable place either.
The way I see it right now in my area there is no one that is honest, and by your comment I can see why. People in the trade seem to defend each other. Even though they see the others gouging clients.

I might be taking your comment out of context. If I am then I apologize.

Last edited by editbrain; 03-02-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

My last sentence summed it all up -
A POOR CHOICE OF MECHANIC COULD COST YOU YOUR RIDE!
A choice made based solely on hrs. or labor rate or reputation or part price singlely would be foolish. All factors need to be considered.

As for "ALL CAPS IN BOLD", my goodness. I've had 3 cups of coffee this morning and am off and running. Y'all have a nice day!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Wheelup
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Tomorrow people should try to bring your own eggs and bacon to a diner and ask them to cook it for you. It should be real cheap right? They are only going to heat what you brought right? Sounds a little dumb right? The internet has destroyed the service industry. I know of a few shops across the country that will not let people do this. It all comes down to, what happens when "something" goes wrong, (example, parts failure, gasket failure, missing parts, mis-marked boxes for parts from manufacturer etc.). ALL these things and many more can cause a time loss by the person just trying to "swap some parts". Some shops by me charge the same price wether you bring it or not, just to cover their asses in case something doesn't go right. Remember, all the parts you buy off the internet "cheap", kills the local businesses. So, don't be surprised when they close their doors and then you can't bring your eggs and bacon to anyone and there is slim to none choices on "cut throat hacks" to do a job. No, I don't own a shop. Think of the long term, not just today. I try to save a buck where I can too, just not where it can hurt me down the road.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

These guys are giving you the price upfront. They can charge what ever they want and if you agree to pay it then it is a legit deal. Most shops dont like having the customer supply parts because it is a pain in the *** and they are in the part selling business.
Just relax and pick someone to do it based on thier rep and price, they are businesses not your buddy doing you a favor. If you can negotiate a better price than that is geat, but the shop owners don't own you anything.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

High, maybe, shops have overhead costs. If you don't like the price by the $400 in tools and do it yourself. Bet you can't change out cams in less than 12 hours your 1st time. I've done a few and I allow 7-8 hours to do it right.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Not that this is a motorcycle engine but, my brother inlaw had a decked out motor built for his car, he ordered all the engine parts, had his indy speed shop build it, then he moved and had another speed shop finish and install the motor. Things went crazy from there, he spent two months with the shop trying to figure out why the motor wasn't running correctly. $17k after he bought the first motor part he found out that his supplier sent the wrong cam in the shipment and no one noticed.He said if he went through the local indy from the begining this might not have happen because they would have ordered and VERIFIED everything was correct prior to the build.

Anyway good luck with what ever direction you choose to go in.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys he is not saying that 60 an hour is out of line, what he is saying charging him 120 a hour or a extra 5 hours on the job is robery. I was the service manager at a chain for a long time, we were only allowed to charge what mitchell said. some of that was even out of line. Beside who's to say over paying is going to get you a quality job. thats crap. a indy is supposed to be cheaper than the dealer. thats the point, hard to help the little guys when they are screwing you to death.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see it taking that long for just cams, hell I had my motor built w/cams in 10.

Quick Reply: Why?