Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street bob discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 AM
TLT255
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hated the stock seat on my 08 Bob. *** fell asleep and cramped and whined like a lil bitch!! Someone told me to ride it out and at about 3000 miles it actually felt good. added 2000 since and I wouldn't trade for it for nothin now!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM
SpikeisMYbike
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 2011 Street Bob
@ Spikeismybike. First...welcome. Glad we have this in common. Advice: Listen to these guys on this blog, they really know what they're talking about. I've taken their advice, and has made me become less resentful of my purchase, and my FXDB and I are falling in love again. Get some miles under your belt...it's an odd feeling bike at first, especially for me who only rode small dirtbikes under 200cc. Biggest adjustment I'm making isn't even hardware...but understanding this thing. It's almost 650 lbs, and really, REALLY low to the ground. Unlike a dirtbike, the more I remember to push rather than steer the bars, the better. Also, again I think due to how low this thing is, imagine steering with your knees against the tank, and also by shifting the weight of your body from lower body (legs and ***) rather than upper body. It's actually a really cool cruising feel. But, if I don't think about it, I find myself leaning forward rather than 'cruise posture', leaning with shoulders, and 'turning' the bars. Again, pushing the bars, not overcompensating the lean, shifiting weight of lower rather than upper body, and imagining steering the bike with my knees against the fuel tank, for me anyway, is really making a HUGE difference. I've ordered a Mustang Vintage seat too, I think that will make a huge difference once it's on. And, I'm changing out the teardrop intake for a round, smaller one, hoping that will leave more room for my knee on the bike.

Thanks for all the advise. What you said makes sense. I constantly feel like I am fighting to turn. Decided to stay with the mid controls until I can figure out how to install the forward ones myself (I am a girl who WILL learn how to do this). I am going to checkout the Mustang seat you spoke of as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike and won't give up till it's perfect for me. Going out this afternoon on a ride, gonna have some fun!
Peace!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
ksscooter
Cruiser

On my Street Bob I added highway pegs for a leg stretch out on the highway, and tilted the bars back towards me which made the reach less. My right hand in particular would get tingly with the bars straight up in the air, but that ended with the bar adjustment. That also took some strain off my back of reaching out and up for the bars. It wasn't a relaxing position for me. I've ridden literally hundreds of miles per day and been happy with it since the adjustments.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crank the bars forward, put on a better seat and throw some hiway pegs on to give you an option about where to put your feet.........

Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM
SpikeisMYbike
Stage IV
Default Thanks...wow....

Originally Posted by blueangel73
What is different? The frame mounts are the same! The rear master brake cylinder is still mounted to the rear of the frame! Everything looks the same!

All you have to do is:
On the left side-
1-Disconnect and remove the shift rod.
2-Remove the mid shift arm.
3-Remove the peg frame mount.
4-Mount the forward control mount.
5-Attach the shift arm and forward lever.
6-Attach the shift rod to the forward shift arm and rear shift linkage. (might require some adjusting of forward shift arm and lever)
7-Take a zip tie and temp secure the old shift lever it to the new shift rod loosely until you have down time to get the old one removed and the (black) shift lever installed (if you went with the black).
Left side completed.

On the right side-
1-Disconnect the rod from the brake lever and unscrew it form the master cylinder.
2-Remove the peg mount, be careful not to damage the exhaust when doing this.
3-Mount the right forward control and attach components
4-Screw new brake rod into master cylinder until you get the desired brake lever position.
Right side completed.

Once everything is installed and torqued down to specs. Sit on bike and run the gears up and back down rolling the bike forward or backwards to make sure gear catches, you are checking to make sure that there is not binding and for clearence issues. Next press brake down and make sure that the lever is at a good angle and that the brake ingages.

That is all I had to do on my 2010 SB. Ask you dealer if to can look at the install instructions to make sure it is something that you can handle.

Good Luck.
That was a ton of info, thanks! I am going to get the manual and see what I can do. Just don't want to screw anything up and be sitting without a bike to ride, lol. You are very knowledgeable and I appreciate the time you took to share it with me. I hope others will be able to use this info as well.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

My son is 6'5" and 270. He has 27K on his 06 Street Bob with mid controls. He has ridden it 9,000 miles in 14 days on our Alaska trip and 4,000 miles on our trip to Key West last year. He also has done fur or five 2,000 mile round trips to Sturgis over the years. All without any issues related to size.

I have a 2010 Dyna Super Glide and I am 6'3" and 230. I left the mid controls on and have no issues with the size of the bike.

Maybe you need time to adjust.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksscooter
On my Street Bob I added highway pegs for a leg stretch out on the highway, and tilted the bars back towards me which made the reach less. My right hand in particular would get tingly with the bars straight up in the air, but that ended with the bar adjustment. That also took some strain off my back of reaching out and up for the bars. It wasn't a relaxing position for me. I've ridden literally hundreds of miles per day and been happy with it since the adjustments.
Exactly the same for me at 5'10. Moved the bars back just 3/4 inch, added hwy pegs. That and working on "core strength" at the gym were key. Fits like a glove now!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
bshearn
Novice

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I put forward controls and a 1" riser one my ride and it change the feel of the 2010 SB. Bringing the bars back just that half inch and up half inch made a big difference and the forwards let me stretch out. I am only 5'7".
Hi Blueangel73, Did you get your risers from Loner Industries? I have started to experience shoulder pain on longer runs with my Streetbob and am interested in getting risers. I was not sure if I should try the 2" or 1" and you are about my height!

Also, what kind of seat do you have? Just curious because the seat will also make a difference in position.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 2" risers and love them.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bshearn
Hi Blueangel73, Did you get your risers from Loner Industries? I have started to experience shoulder pain on longer runs with my Streetbob and am interested in getting risers. I was not sure if I should try the 2" or 1" and you are about my height!

Also, what kind of seat do you have? Just curious because the seat will also make a difference in position.
Stock seat, risers are from Loner. I did a ride with some buddies from work from Maryland to the dragons tail back in October and enjoyed every minute of the ride. It took us 11 hrs to get there, we had to stop every 100 miles or close to it because we had a 48 with us. I pulled the bars back a little so I was sitting more straight up and it made a big difference in the ride. These bars are low compared to the 16" I had on my sporty.

Quick Reply: street bob discomfort