Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross over hose after tank lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011 | 08:46 PM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by animalnoll
I used Jackyl's 2" lift, also. My tube looks like yours, also. I have had no issues with it. Doesn't it make it right, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Keep an eye on the hose then. I checked mine one day and it had cuts on the hose where it rubbed against the bottom of the frame.
I'm real happy with the lift otherwise.

Old 03-01-2011 | 11:40 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 840 Likes on 378 Posts

I've seen this mod for a while, and even done em for a few people..but never considered one myself. The more I see it, the more I like it, especially with taller bars/risers. So I can be lazy and skip the search lemme know what the pros and cons are to this. Decrease in fuel capacity? Increase in related issues such as fuel vent problems or the one noted here of too short crossover? Sorry to hijack, but maybe the increase in conversation will flush any other issues there may be with it.

Old 03-02-2011 | 05:49 AM
gd55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to hear weather the lift has any noticeable effect on
handling since it looks like the lift would raise the bikes center of
gravity.

Old 03-02-2011 | 07:05 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
I've seen this mod for a while, and even done em for a few people..but never considered one myself. The more I see it, the more I like it, especially with taller bars/risers. So I can be lazy and skip the search lemme know what the pros and cons are to this. Decrease in fuel capacity? Increase in related issues such as fuel vent problems or the one noted here of too short crossover? Sorry to hijack, but maybe the increase in conversation will flush any other issues there may be with it.

Originally Posted by gd55
I would also like to hear weather the lift has any noticeable effect on
handling since it looks like the lift would raise the bikes center of
gravity.

The lift is just for looks. It has no effect on handling. It does throw off the gas gauge somewhat so I just go by mileage.

Old 03-02-2011 | 07:12 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

How you got to "bending the tubes" before buying a longer a hose is a puzzler, but okay.

On hose clamps, don't use the serrated type, as over the course of time they chew into the hose.

As for fuel capacity my tanks (Shovelhead five-gallon fatbobs) are angled way up higher than any tank lift would make them (petcock is still in stock mid-tank position) and even though I can't fill the tanks completely and wind up with more usable fuel than normal I know I can still go two hundred miles with fuel still reaching the petcock filter. The fuel level changes with a 2 to 3" inch tank lift kit would be negligible.

Old 03-02-2011 | 10:18 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Yet another reason it seems not to bother with the tank lift. I don't get the look, but to each his own.

Old 03-02-2011 | 11:21 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Dude...what is the worst that could happen? You might look like Nicholas Cage in "Ghostrider." (Chain sold separately at a local hardware store)

Old 03-02-2011 | 12:47 PM
Slowride2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP thanks for posting this. I installed one a few weeks ago and was wondering the same thing. Think I will leave it as is and just keep an eye on it.

Old 03-02-2011 | 04:02 PM
markeejay
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blacknsilver
Yep, get a longer hose. I wouldn't bend the tubes though they might snap off.

2nd that, cheaper to buy some hose rather than repair the tank

Old 03-02-2011 | 04:45 PM
trappermarc
|
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Nickd, The tubes on the bottom of the tank point straight at the frame!! And there is only a little over an inch between outlet of tube and the frame. Even if you put a longer hose on, you will still have a sharp bend in the hose right off the tube. I'm trying to not have a sharp bend in the hose, it would look like this --__--
Lots of bending in a short hose, and touching a 90* corner of a steel frame. I was just looking for input, not sarcasm!

Quick Reply: Cross over hose after tank lift