Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburator Cough

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM
cmvsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburator Cough

Not very often, but every now and then with the quick rollback on the accelerator, I'll get a sharp cough out of the carb area. Sometimes its enough to stall the bike starting out.

Once the bike is warm, it idles great and accelerates very quickly as well, but I do get some popping on the decel. Are these two related?

I'm thinking maybe the carb needs a bit of tweaking, but not sure where to start in diagnosis. Haven't really investigated thoroughly, as it only happens every now and then, but thought I'd see what you guys had to say about it.

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmvsm

Once the bike is warm, it idles great and accelerates very quickly as well, but I do get some popping on the decel. Are these two related?
Yes, they are related. It's running lean.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lean from idle to 1/4 throttle. could be the needle to be raised, the idle adjustment screw may also need to be adjusted for more fuel. Usually it is the needle.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 AM
cmvsm
Advanced

I did think of giving it an idle adjustment, but since adding the Stage 2, I'm idling between 1000 and 1100 as it is. I thought 1100 was the top idling speed suggested for my model.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

If the carb was set up for the engine mod, then yes you are lean. Adjust the air/fuel needle out 2 1/2 turns from lightly seated. Either raise the needle with two #4 brass washers or replace with a sportster carb needle, the part number escapes me right now.

Found the number--H-D part number27094-88. The needle is a tad richer at idle to 1/4 throttle.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 02-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
If the carb was set up for the engine mod, then yes you are lean. Adjust the air/fuel needle out 2 1/2 turns from lightly seated. Either raise the needle with two #4 brass washers or replace with a sportster carb needle, the part number escapes me right now.

Found the number--H-D part number27094-88. The needle is a tad richer at idle to 1/4 throttle.
Thanks for the advice SSG. I think I'll go with the washers. Anything else that I should be replacing once I have the carb off? Also, what's the best thing to use to clean it with. Carb cleaner sounds like the logical choice, but I've heard a few don't like the results.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html
read through this and also the other articles they have. I highly recommend getting their kit vs a couple washers on your needle. Very good chance you will need to change out the 45 low for a 46.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
goblin127
Tourer

Sea foam is a good product for cleaning carb's. Use it to clean carb parts and you can run it through your fuel system.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

+1 with the seafoam. If you opt to change out the slow jet to a #46 you'll have to check with an indy or a metric shop to get these. Most H-D dealers don't carry them.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Thanks again for the advice guys. I took Rounders advice and bought the kit from CV. Hopefully it will get to my house by Saturday so I can get working on Sunday. I did have one question. The kit comes with 4 jets, but it doesn't say which ones? Since it asks for the type of motor, I'm assuming that they will send the stock size and then maybe the next size up?

Quick Reply: Carburator Cough