Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need Support Brackets for Throw Over Saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Do I Need Support Brackets for Throw Over Saddlebags?

I'll be headed on a trip with the OL into the Smoky Mnts in about 8 weeks. I don't think the one bag I have will cut It for the both of us. If i get a set of throw over saddlebags, will i need some kind of support bracket behind them on my SB!

Any input or experience would be great.

Thank you.
R

Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wore a hole in my right saddlebag from the brake caliper rubbing on the bottom. Granted, they ill-fitting cheap nylon bags, but I thought for sure they were high enough not to rub.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

More than likely yes. I did have a set of sport bike bags that I used occasionally that didn't need them but most want to tilt inwards when you load them.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The cheap bastard that I am....I bought 2 sets of leather saddlebags at a swap meet. $50.00 each. Got about 5K miles on each set before one side started to wear through. I found an old set of sportster mounts and bent them up to fit my bike. $10.00. Took both sets of old bags and made one set to run, no wear now. The set with golf ball size hole in them are now storage on the wall. Hope that helps a bit. Its a 05 wide glide.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a pair of throw-overs on a Sporty a long time back. I had to fab up some supports as none were available at the time. I believe I even had to tie them off on the supports to keep them from flopping around. Yeah, they can start hitting stuff. They are fairly easy to make, provided you have the welding skills and tools necessary to bend the rod, etc.

On my Dyna, I just bought semi-hard bags (lined with plastic) and removed the throw-over piece, then I mounted them to quick disconnect mounts. The mounts have a vertical plate that holds them away from the bike, come off with a key and allow me to remove both bags quickly, leaving just hard to detect mounting studs.

Having your bags mounted this way will save your fender paint from wear and give you a clutter free bike when the bags are off.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get heavy leather saddlebags that fit the bike well you won't need supports.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
thumperhdcmc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of 'sac' brand bags and they used a couple of straps to hold them in place otherwise I've never used supports myself however... have a set of Willie and max bags seen a few thousand miles with limited wear. some marks from the shocks of my old sporty that's all and they were used when I got them. they have held up very nice and I'm considering getting a larger size of the same kind

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,923 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
I'll be headed on a trip with the OL into the Smoky Mnts in about 8 weeks. I don't think the one bag I have will cut It for the both of us. If i get a set of throw over saddlebags, will i need some kind of support bracket behind them on my SB!

Any input or experience would be great.

Thank you.
R
I've seen a lot of scooter with the bags worn through ... along with other problems because the bags hung bad. Bag supports are a definite need. If you don't like the looks of them after you get home just take 'em off and wait for the next trip. No big deal. Here's a ling to a company that offers a solution to "Saggy Bags" Maybe this is what could help you. Good Luck. http://www.gotsaggybags.com/

Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM
gdt3
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure you put something over the fender to protect the paint from the throw over strap. I use that rubber anti-slip you can get at any hardware store or RV place.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend the supports if you are going on a long trip. I installed the supports on my last long trips and took em off when I got home like Uncle Larry suggested. The peace of mind that it gave me was priceless. The last thing I wanted was to have any issues with my bags mid trip. Also it provided for some serious tie off options, allowing me to tie a decent sized rollbag on the bike for additional cargo.

Haven't used the supports except for the long trip, but it was worth the peace of mind imho.

Cheers,

Tom