Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lacing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Lacing Wheels

It looks like I have to replace the hub on my rear wheel since the threads are toast and the pulley bolts keep vibrating loose (even with red LocTite and when properly torqued.) I'd rather do the work myself but I've never laced and trued a motorcycle wheel before. have any of you done this? Is it particularly time consuming? What special tools / parts do I need?

Thanks!

Z

Old 10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lacing Wheels

no but i have watched a few poor guys do it on "Build or bust" LOL

I noticed the HD shop manual shows how do it

Old 10-10-2006, 12:53 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 17" laced wheel off an 06 WG for sale...if you decide you'd rather just spend a couple bucks

Todd

Old 10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
thebestofindica
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD service manual lays it out real well!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:29 AM
CobraSnake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably be better off getting a bike mechanic to do it . lacing wheel easy. to ture the wheel is timecomsuming and you will need a wheel aligner to do it properly. if you havent done it before your in for a real treat. hope you have alot of patience. probably what you wana do is try it if you cant do then take it somewhere and let them ture up wheel for ya.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:05 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: CobraSnake

you probably be better off getting a bike mechanic to do it . lacing wheel easy. to ture the wheel is timecomsuming and you will need a wheel aligner to do it properly. if you havent done it before your in for a real treat. hope you have alot of patience. probably what you wana do is try it if you cant do then take it somewhere and let them ture up wheel for ya.
Like he said. We used to lace FL hubs to Sportster rims back in the day and the lacing is not too hard but the trueing is another story.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is anything like lacing a bicycle wheel then it is a pain in the a$$. In a former life I use to own a bicycle shop and laced wheels. Not only it it time consuming to true them, but also have to watch out to not get them out of round

Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Todd,

I wish I could put your wheel on my ride. Those 06 wheels are a lot wider than the 98 wheels were, so they won't fit. Thanks for the offer though.

Z

ORIGINAL: veniculum

I have a 17" laced wheel off an 06 WG for sale...if you decide you'd rather just spend a couple bucks

Todd

Old 10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Cobra,

I think you've got the right idea. I'll give it a shot. If I can't get it right in a reasonable time then I'll just take it down and let a pro do it. I found a good online article on the process: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/wire_wheel/

I suppose I'll be finding out this weekend just how easy this really is.

Z

ORIGINAL: CobraSnake

Old 10-10-2006, 09:34 PM
mhbetzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone suggested earlier I believe, the best soulution would be to have heli-coils put in the existing holes. They would be much stronger than the original holes.

Quick Reply: Lacing Wheels