Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust mount question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Exhaust mount question

I am wondering if I were to mount a long exhaust pipe and want to make a bracket to support it and mount it to the frame with maybe 20-30 inches between the frame mount and the exhaust support.

Example: bracket could mount to let's say the mid peg mounts (not used by pegs) with maybe a 1/2" diameter bar welded to it and extended out to around the exhaust mount just forward of the read axle.

I would think, but not sure it there would be enough flex in the bar to allow the motor to vibrate the exhaust without the exhaust being to rigid atthe hanger. Maybe even use a rubber support at the hanger to compensate for the vibration.

Any insite to how this might or might not work would be helpful.

Mike

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mounting the exhaust of a rubber mounted engine to the frame or swingarm is a bad idea. The exhaust needs a good solid mount that moves with the vibrations of the engine. It will surely lead to a cracked exhaust or even worse broken exhaust studs. Just my opinion.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 02-21-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I wasn't going to mount to the swing arm, but I do see why you would think that after reading my post. When I say "just forward of the rear axle" I mean on the exhaust, not the swing arm. Kinda like the exhaust mount found on a long pipe off a softy, where the support attaches to the exhaust.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A ST does not have a rubber mounted engine. Therefore the exhaust can mount to the frame, unlike a Dyna. I personally would not mount the exhaust bracket on a Dyna to anything but a part of the engine or tranny unless you want to use some kind of flex pipe (the stuff that tends to spring leaks) between the mount and the heads.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I know the difference between the two mounting styles, I am trying to use a little physics in my solution. A long piece of metal that is thin enough to flex freely while strong enough to support weight on it. If you take a piece of 1/2" or 1/4" bar around 15"-20" long and put it in a vice the other end is stiff enough to support weight while free to move slightly, like a vibrating movement. If you put a rubber mount at the free end you get even more leway with movement.

The pic below might help out with what I am saying. (exhaust in pic is not exhaust for use, just a quick pic showing the lower frame)
1-the exhaust mount end of the bracket (maybe with a rubber spacer for flexability)
2-the flexable support arm (not exactly like this, just a quick point A to point B example)
3-where the bracket mounts to the frame

Basicly I am trying to design a support system for running a true-daul setup and as you know there is just about no mounting points on the left side of the bike.

Thanks for the help though.

Last edited by blueangel73; 02-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I am just trying to find a way to do something like what is done the on the touring models, where the exhaust is mounted to the engine for the same reason the Dyna is, yet they also hang it from the rear bag support which is mounted to the frame and not the motor. Just looking for a mounting system via a different path. I am sure I wont be able to do this, but it can't hurt to get other out of the box idea's.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a way to do this. Have you ever seen the license plate mounts that are actually the derby cover as well? That might be something to think about. Just need someone that can do some mill work, I think it would need to be a one piece unit to provide any strength.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I extended my exhaust bracket to support my setup kind of like what you're suggesting I think ... also, I believe bikerlaw has a similar set up ...

What I did was cut a lenth of flat zinc plated stock about a foot long or so ... the muffler has a channel on the 'back' side and I drilled two holes in the stock to bolt up to the channel mount using 't-head' bolts ... on the forward end of the steel stock I bolted it through an inverted headlamp mounting block and then fastened it to the stock ...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a reason that the MoCo uses round stock for pipe mounts, it is stiffer and will not counter-vibrate. If the 2 ends don't move in sync over time you will tear out the studs in the heads or destroy the exhaust ports. It's not like an automotive header where the exhaust flange bolts to multiple cylinders to give it strength.