Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROJECT: Black Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06SuperDuty
I just read that my reducer (medium) is for temps of 70-85. Couldnt have been more that 60 when I painted. How will that affect the paint? Will it cause it to sag or peel? Man alot goes into this! I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
It shouldn't affect how your paint looks. It will just take longer to flash and dry. 60 is a little on the cool side to paint. Real easy to get runs when the temp is low.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

def do not quit man! first paint job i did with guns i had to strip 3x's and start over... personally i like to go down to metal when i paint but not always needed... just take your time bud... you will get a great paint job... just may take a few trys

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
06SuperDuty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of you guys have been AWESOME!! Thanks for all the help! I have lots more questions. When you guys paint tanks, do you hang them vertical or flat? Do you go across the tank or up and down the long sides? Looking for all the little tricks. Also after I block sand this first attempt off, do I leave it smooth? Where I have started its as smooth as silk. Should I hit it with more primer after that?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not even going to get into the how tos of painting. I have rattle canned a few fenders but not my area of expertise. However on the badge issue, Hand painted is the way to go. Usually done this way you can be sure it stands out and not many if any around like it. I love how mine turned out thats for sure...

Attached Thumbnails PROJECT: Black Glide!-bike2.jpg   PROJECT: Black Glide!-bike1.jpg   PROJECT: Black Glide!-bike3.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i use a stand... so the tank is flat... i lay paint long wise on them when i shoot... after i block out the tins with 800 then i will wipe down with prep or de natured alch, then tack then shoot...
i do not hang tanks as the chances of runs are way higher and it is tuff to get the paint to flow nicely over the tank... same on the rear fenders and front... after it is all said and done i use a rubber undercoating on the underside of the fenders as well...
i would block it off, wipe it, tack it, and shoot again...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 PM
06SuperDuty
Cruiser

Not too much progress going on. I have slowed down due to work. I did get some sanding blocks and worked on the tank some. Made things faster but I wouldn't say easy. Now do I need to take the peel completly off or just smooth? I can still see some peel in a few spots but it feels smooth. The temps are getting cold again so I am not sure when I will be able to shoot it again. Also have my kids birthday this weekend. This "weekend" project is sure taking longer than I thought! I want my bike back! Thanks again for the help guys. I have no doubt it will turn out, when is the question.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
gsreimers
Tourer
Received 188 Likes on 85 Posts

Just a tip, if you've sanded and your not sure how good a job you did, take a rag with your thinner and wipe the tank. Wet, you should be able to see most of your imperfections.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to sand the tank completely smooth... The top coat can only be as smooth as what is underneath it...

Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 PM
06SuperDuty
Cruiser

Update: got work done this weekend. It has been way too cold to paint here at my house. Also I am going to the Lee Parks ARC 1&2 next week so I had to make a decision. I didn't want to do this but it's only temporary until it warms up. I got it sanded down and hit it with flat black Krylon followed by satin krylon clear. I actually think it looks good. Here are the pics I took today.

First the before:

Now the after:

Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks good. Nice work. Do a close up on the dent. Looks like you smoothed it all out fine.

Quick Reply: PROJECT: Black Glide!