Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011 | 05:13 PM
FatBobber08
|
Advanced
Default Chain drive

Hey all, just got an opportunity from zippers performance to get a first ever chain drive conversion kit for a 08 and up fat bob. Now I'm really thinking what to do...to go chain or stay belt. I'll be honest the sole purpose of wanting to go chain is to get that ol school look. Please any and all opinions are encourged and welcome.

Old 02-17-2011 | 05:19 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

on a dyna?

sell the dyna and get a sucker punch sally rigid if you want the old school look, eh?

Old 02-17-2011 | 05:33 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

The belt system better, the chain looks OS and lets you run a wider tire sometimes. Its your choice. as for me I will stick with the belt

Old 02-17-2011 | 05:49 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default ?

Originally Posted by FatBobber08
...the sole purpose of wanting to go chain is to get that ol school look. Please any and all opinions are encourged and welcome.
Since you put it that way:

Besides more noise and oily crud slung onto your bike, you will add a messy clean and lube chain to your regular maintenance. And you will destroy the value of your bike. Just to pose as old school?

Old 02-17-2011 | 06:28 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior

Might as well remove the fuel injection too. One of the greatest benefits oh HD is low maintenance. Putting a chain drive on seems like a big step backwards. It's your bike though so if you want it, have at it.

Old 02-17-2011 | 06:50 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FatBobber08
Hey all, just got an opportunity from zippers performance to get a first ever chain drive conversion kit for a 08 and up fat bob. Now I'm really thinking what to do...to go chain or stay belt. I'll be honest the sole purpose of wanting to go chain is to get that ol school look. Please any and all opinions are encourged and welcome.
running with a chain on my 006 SuperGlide coming up on a year now.

it's quiet, no mess, no adjusting every week or so like the 1960s chains

easy to change drive ratios

as for *the look*, no one has ever noticed.

Old 02-17-2011 | 10:42 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

Hey Mud, I am sure people have noticed and just not said anything. Besides gearing options what other advantages do you feel the chain has?

Old 02-17-2011 | 11:35 PM
beanie boy
Banned

There are pro's and cons to both, but you can easily fix a chain, swap out sprockets for different gear ratios quickly and run higher horsepower than a belt.

As far as cleanliness, constant adjustments, and the other issues that seem to plague chains, there has been massive improvements to the chain in the past decade.

An O-Ring chain has little to none of the issues that many of you speak of. The new chain lubes of today also are cleaner and pick up much less slit and road grime than in years past.

Is a belt easier to deal with and cleaner than a chain? YES.

As far as I'm concerned to each is own, but I have a chain on both my softail and bagger (both with thousands of miles on them) and will be putting a 3-Guys Choppers Chain Drive kit on my Dyna when I swap out the primary.

Old 02-18-2011 | 01:41 AM
theoneandonlyhoppy
Advanced

Having had both I'd say... belt.

After the initial stretch the newer o-ring chains are pretty maintenance free except for periodic cleaning and lightly oiling (mostly to keep the rollers and side plates from rusting), but the belt requires virtually no maintenance, runs quieter and with less vibration.

Old 02-18-2011 | 04:24 AM
BlacktopBuzzard
Cruiser

I converted to chain 7 years ago and could not be more pleased. Like previously said, both chain and belt have pros and cons and its more of personal preference. I prefer chain. Never really hear of people that do convert to chain converting back.

Quick Reply: Chain drive