Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided cables vs Stock cables.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Braided lines or cables are cosmetic only. You wont be able to ride fast enough on the road to notice any difference in braking power. Anything you feel by holding the standard brake line will be nothing more than the line stiffening under pressure.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petefwa
Braided lines or cables are cosmetic only. You wont be able to ride fast enough on the road to notice any difference in braking power. Anything you feel by holding the standard brake line will be nothing more than the line stiffening under pressure.
I tend to agree with this. However (even though probably not noticeable) the braiding does offer a wrap support, kinda like wrapping your knee for football, although your knee was wrapped more tight than the braiding which just sleeves over the hose. The braiding looks neat.

Braiding originally got started many yrs ago under NHRA rules to protect from fire and oil leaks. The way the rules used to read were any fluid hose longer than 6 inches OR running through or against other parts, must be braided. The braiding definitely protects from external abrasion and to some extent provides a support to the enclosed hose. But if abrasion (or looks) are not an issue, then good quality rubber hose is sufficient. When I buy rubber gas or oil hose I always buy the type that has internally woven fibers in the rubber. These are a lot stronger than rubber only lines.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by --utaptout--
As you might be able to tell from my pics, I'm all about contrasting colors. ... .... ..
Your Fat Bob looks great! Love those pipes. I always was torn between the Street and the Fat Bobs. Course I ended up having to buy used so there where other factors of price and selection. But even though I love my Street Bob, I still think the Fat Bobs have more of the old Harley bob look.

Course at my age if I win the Lottery I would probably just buy a Heritage, which to me is just about the most beautiful motorcycle total package.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
animalnoll
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnum cables are the way to go. They look great and add that extra little something when customizing your ride. I am glad I added them to my bike.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Braided brake lines definitely make a difference and until you try them you won't know. It is really simple hydraulics and if your line is swelling and stretching you are not transferring as much pressure to the piston in the caliper. I you believe they are just for looks then you have been misguided.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
T.o.n.y.T.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one thing that I'd like to do eventually on my ride as well. For both reasons, cosmetic and functionality.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Your Fat Bob looks great! Love those pipes. I always was torn between the Street and the Fat Bobs. Course I ended up having to buy used so there where other factors of price and selection. But even though I love my Street Bob, I still think the Fat Bobs have more of the old Harley bob look.

Course at my age if I win the Lottery I would probably just buy a Heritage, which to me is just about the most beautiful motorcycle total package.
Thanks man. I looked at the Street Bob to, but I was more torn between the FB and the WG, because I liked the fatter front and rear ends. I ultimately chose the FB because of the Fat tires, dual front discs, covered rear shocks, and the handling. I'm gonna be adding some 13" apes (most likely Todd's Cycles Fatbob bars) this spring, and I've already got a chrome primary cover and derby cover that I'll be installing soon too. Can't wait to get underway! I've never done work like this on a bike myself, and I can't wait to tackle this project!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by --utaptout--
.... .... I'm gonna be adding some 13" apes (most likely Todd's Cycles Fatbob bars) this spring, ... ....
Yea you young guys love those apes. I personally think your FB would look better with 10inch Wild1s T-Bars, but that's just me. Those Kury stirrups are comfortable aren't they. I have a slightly different style on mine.

I looked at your profile. You do a little drag racun do ya. Nice lookun Charger. Back in 1969 I had an Olds 442 Cutlass that I raced in E stock class at the strip. Had headers and 7inch cheater slicks. Turned high 13s and consistent low 14s. It would beat every Chevelle SS and GTO I raced but the Dodge GTX 440 magnum would take me in the traps every time. I could take the Dodges out of the lites but they would catch me. Cars were a lot heavier back then.

Again you've got a fantastic looking Bob. Later....R_W_B

Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Braided cables? Absolutely no benefit other than appearance.

Braided lines? Contrary to popular belief, there is no benefit in fighting swelling due to fluid pressure unless you're using substandard lines in the first place (which no OEM does). The brake lines (and clutch lines for bikes with a hydraulic clutch) already contain extremely strong fibers which accomplish this, often composed of kevlar.

So why braid hydraulic lines? Well, besides doing it for looks, the steel brading can protect the "rubber" line itself from nicks and cuts. On a motorcycle the line is more exposed than in a car. If the braiding were used for strength, then you'd see it as OEM on high performance cars like Corvettes and Ferraris (but you don't). The downside to the brading is that it hides any signs that the line is degrading due to age or exposure to the elements and chemicals.

Those who perform braided hydraulic line "upgrades" tend to upgrade other things (such as the line itself) and/or the pads, which is why they feel an improvement. There are also those who imagine an improvement which simply doesn't exist (such as those who claim that they felt an improvement after disconnecting the exhaust flapper valve in their Ducatis, not realizing that the flapper doesn't even operate when the bike is in gear).

YMMV

Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Expoacher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the Magnum cables. Are they difficult to install?

Quick Reply: Braided cables vs Stock cables.