Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soldering Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There are generally two types of solder, Acid core and Rosin core. Acid core is for plumbing applications and Rosin core is for electrical work. Both Acid and Rosen refer to a type of Flux. Flux helps make a better stronger joint by reducing oxidation (sort of like a shielding gas does when electric stick welding.) You can also use plain solder but then you'd have to manually apply the correct flux yourself.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Tried something different at work the other day. I put the tip under the work...
That's how you're supposed to do it. Heat rises.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the following from Radio Shack:
Solder:60/40 Rosin-Core: .032" Diameter-Light Duty(64-005)
Flux: Non-spill paste Rosin Solderin Flux(64-022)

Even with rosin core, I still use paste flux. It helps pull the solder alot faster into the wire.

Strip about 3/8" of the insulation. Dip the wire into the flux-just don't dip it up to the remaining insulation. Dip it only up to about 1/8" from the insulation. Secure the wire parallel to the ground. Clean your soldering tip. Hold the soldering tip under the wire, but not too close to the insulation. Make sure you get good contact and heat transfer from the tip to the wire. It shouldn't take more than 3-5 seconds. Now take a straightened out a peice of solder and slowly feed it into the wire in the middle of the bare(stripped) section of the wire. Only feed in enough solder to make the wire look just coated with solder. You now have a tinned wire. Do the other wire the same way.

Now, secure the two ends of the wire(with the two clothes clips) so that they lay on top of each other, but don't butt the ends of the wire up to the insulation. It wouldn't hurt to dip the ends back into the flux before you do this. Anyway, with the wires overlapping each other and SECURE, take the clean tip and try to hold it under the two wires so that the solder melts on both evenly. Feed in just enough solder so that you see a curved dip between both wires.

Clean all of the flux off and don't forget to add the heat shrink before you solder them together.

Last edited by greenstreetbob; 02-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,763 Likes on 2,531 Posts

I've built helm stations for about 8 years now and would you believe that's the first time i Had to use a soldering tool. We usually just add end connectors but a mini-jack required the the solder.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
There are generally two types of solder, Acid core and Rosin core. Acid core is for plumbing applications and Rosin core is for electrical work. Both Acid and Rosen refer to a type of Flux. Flux helps make a better stronger joint by reducing oxidation (sort of like a shielding gas does when electric stick welding.) You can also use plain solder but then you'd have to manually apply the correct flux yourself.

Thanks, I know these things are simple for everyone else. I believe I was born to an Amish family and got mixed up at the hospital so I really don't belong around all this electrical technical bullshitting.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Help me! Please!

I have never soldered anything in my life and am currently in the process of wiring up my bars. I need to solder the wires and to achieve that end, I have purchased a soldering iron and solder.

The problem I'm having is I can't get any solder to melt onto the bare wire joint. The solder melts fine onto the iron tip but no matter how long I hold the tip under the wires, solder will not melt, much less flow into the joint.

The soldering iron is a 25W Weller and I'm using a rosin core solder. The wires I'm practicing on are a slightly heavier gauge than the control wires.

What is the problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Originally Posted by micahpop
Help me! Please!

I have never soldered anything in my life and am currently in the process of wiring up my bars. I need to solder the wires and to achieve that end, I have purchased a soldering iron and solder.

The problem I'm having is I can't get any solder to melt onto the bare wire joint. The solder melts fine onto the iron tip but no matter how long I hold the tip under the wires, solder will not melt, much less flow into the joint.

The soldering iron is a 25W Weller and I'm using a rosin core solder. The wires I'm practicing on are a slightly heavier gauge than the control wires.

What is the problem? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Are you using flux? The tip needs to have full even contact on the wire. The larger the wire, the harder it is to get heat transfer through it. Also, is the wire bouncing around and is your hand steady? If you or the wire, or both is moving you aren't getting heat transfer. Is the soldering iron you purchased adjustable? Are you using a pencil tip or flat tip?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wires are steady - not rock solid, but not bouncing around, either. I am using the flat tip and think I'm holding it on the wire pretty steady.

I am not using flux and the iron is not adjustable. Think I'll get some wires that are the same gauge as the control wires and try again tomorrow. About how long should it take for the wires to get hot enough for the solder to flow?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

It depends on how much heat you are using and the size of the wires. Keep in mind, the longer you keep the iron on the wire, the more chance you have of damaging the wire, especially the insulation. Use flux-it's your friend!!! Put a half a BB sized bit of solder on the tip before you put it on the wire. That should help get the heat flowing. Also, make sure the flat part of the tip is making full and even contact. That is what is is transfering the heat.

Last edited by greenstreetbob; 05-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

25W isn't very much power. Shouldn't cheap-out here.

Anyway, flux the tip and wire; tin the soldering iron 1st, before you place it under the wire. Put a good-sized drop of solder on there to make good contact w/ the wire. Once you see the tinning begin to melt into the wire, you can add more solder.

Quick Reply: Soldering Tips?