Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black 11" progressives and rear turn sigs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default black 11" progressives and rear turn sigs

Sorry; no pics yet but I just came back in from installing my fresh powerdercoated rear turn sigs and 11" black Progressive shocks. I'm very happy with how it looks but I have a couple of issues with the shocks......

Holy Crap! they're low......... I thought they would be the same as my stockers with the 1" lowering blocks but they are noticably lower and stiffer.... I'll have to wait and see how they ride; I liked the ride with my old setup but jumped at a deal on these because they're black.... If I dont like em I'll just get my stockers powder coated and put these up for sale... stand by on that.

The other thing is the aluminum mounting stud that comes out through the fender strut looks like *** because I didn't put the chrome collars back on......... I'm gonna rattle can em black and see what they look like but does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just scored a pair of Progressive 440's from my brother and I hope to install them this weekend. Did you setup the preload on the shocks?, or did you just bolt them on. If you do a search Mud did a great write up on how to setup the preload on the shocks. If they are not properly setup they will not work properly and you will not get the benefit out of them.....As far as the Chrome collars go, haven't even thought about them yet. Goodluck and post up some pics so we can see the new mods.....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
I just scored a pair of Progressive 440's from my brother and I hope to install them this weekend. Did you setup the preload on the shocks?, or did you just bolt them on. If you do a search Mud did a great write up on how to setup the preload on the shocks. If they are not properly setup they will not work properly and you will not get the benefit out of them.....As far as the Chrome collars go, haven't even thought about them yet. Goodluck and post up some pics so we can see the new mods.....
I just bolted dem bitches on there............ instructions didn't say anything about setting up the pre-load

Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this video.....It will help explain things and hopefully help you out....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjui...feature=relmfu

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
skygoddess
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11" shocks or lowering blocks

How much lower are the 11" shocks vs. the lowering blocks? I'm wanting to lower my FXDL and I've been searching the forum for info. I would like to have it significantly lower without worrying about bottoming out over speed bumps. I'm a fairly short woman and I'm used to riding a really low Shovelhead. I know I'll never be able to get my Dyna Lowrider that low but I would like to feel like I'm firm footed. What's your opinion? Should I get 11" shocks or maybe try the lowering blocks? If I go with a lowering kit do you think it would be to much to go with the 1.75?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skygoddess
How much lower are the 11" shocks vs. the lowering blocks? I'm wanting to lower my FXDL and I've been searching the forum for info. I would like to have it significantly lower without worrying about bottoming out over speed bumps. I'm a fairly short woman and I'm used to riding a really low Shovelhead. I know I'll never be able to get my Dyna Lowrider that low but I would like to feel like I'm firm footed. What's your opinion? Should I get 11" shocks or maybe try the lowering blocks? If I go with a lowering kit do you think it would be to much to go with the 1.75?
I had the 1" Tamarack lowering blocks on my streetbob with the stock shocks that are the same length as your lower rider ones (thats the setup thats in my current sig pic). I didn't measure but I'd say the 11" progressives drop it at least another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I'm 6 feet tall and standing beside the bike now the seat height is at about my knees.... it's freakin low. I can't imagine that the 1.75" blocks would drop it much more than the 11" progressives but it's worth a try just to see if you like it. The lowering blocks are quite a bit cheaper than the shocks..... if you like the height you can always pick up the shocks down the road. I got mine from Eastern Performance for about $190 shipped.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Live2rideUtah
Tourer

I have the 11's on my bob and I weight 210 lbs, set em up properly and it wont bottom out, I bought the 440's love em, ride very nice. Check out my sig

Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
skygoddess
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I've been going back and forth over this lowering kit vs. lower shocks for days now. Was thinking about 10.5" progressive shock but was told by a girl who has them that she bottoms out going over speed bumps. I think I'll go ahead and spend the extra money and get the 11" shocks. Seems like they will lower it enough and then I won't be out the money for the lowering kit when I decide that I would rather have the lower shocks. LOL

Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skygoddess
Thanks guys! I've been going back and forth over this lowering kit vs. lower shocks for days now. Was thinking about 10.5" progressive shock but was told by a girl who has them that she bottoms out going over speed bumps. I think I'll go ahead and spend the extra money and get the 11" shocks. Seems like they will lower it enough and then I won't be out the money for the lowering kit when I decide that I would rather have the lower shocks. LOL

Have a look at the Burley lowering kits..... their stuff is made by progressive and they have the 10.5" rears shocks packaged with the corresponding drop in front lowering kit that you'll need...... price is right and quite a few guys have gone that route........

Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
skygoddess
Intermediate

I've looked at the Burley's. Afraid of the 10.5" bottoming out on me on speed bumps and chit like that. Can anyone who has 10.5" on a Lowrider give me any input?

Quick Reply: black 11" progressives and rear turn sigs