Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another ticking thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:28 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by hungoverdog
Would a lifter sort itself out? as it seems to have gotten better lol.

It kinda sounded like something was hitting something, like a rattle (more than a ticking), and it obviously changed speed as the bike did. That's why I orginally thought something had come loose in the horn due to it vibrating so much.
Could it be coming from the primary instead? Sound travels through metal and can be hard to track down.

Sometimes, when someone knows they got to get rid of a car/motorcycle/boat they can get a little 'disinterested' and cut corners. Whenever I buy anything used, I don't care if it's lawnmower, I change the oil AND the filter just make sure (like you need another chore with a new house). That way, I also know what's in it. The original owner's favorite oil might have been Louie's Bulk oil. Ya never know -- Or, he might have got just a tad lazy or had to re-paint the bathroom and decided not to change the filter. ??

Get some good oil, a Harley filter and make a mess all over your garage like the rest of us. I prefer a GOOD synthetic. Hundreds of opinions on which one is best. My stock oil came out at 400 miles. To hell with Harely's "break-in" period. Bunch of nonsense IMHO.

If it's pretty cold where you live right now, that could/would be adding to the ticking noise. Ticking? Meh. A hard-metal knock? Worry.

Change the oil and the filter and see what happens. Cheap, and it'll give you some peace of mind.

P.S. Harleys make unusual noises.

P.P.S. It's a Dyna. Most of them really don't take 3 qts of oil. Start with a little less than 2 1/2. Word. While I'm at it, buy and USE the $.99 O-Ring

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:28 AM
hungoverdog
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Could it be coming from the primary instead? Sound travels through metal and can be hard to track down.

Sometimes, when someone knows they got to get rid of a car/motorcycle/boat they can get a little 'disinterested' and cut corners. Whenever I buy anything used, I don't care if it's lawnmower, I change the oil AND the filter just make sure (like you need another chore with a new house). That way, I also know what's in it. The original owner's favorite oil might have been Louie's Bulk oil. Ya never know -- Or, he might have got just a tad lazy or had to re-paint the bathroom and decided not to change the filter. ??

Get some good oil, a Harley filter and make a mess all over your garage like the rest of us. I prefer a GOOD synthetic. Hundreds of opinions on which one is best. My stock oil came out at 400 miles. To hell with Harely's "break-in" period. Bunch of nonsense IMHO.

If it's pretty cold where you live right now, that could/would be adding to the ticking noise. Ticking? Meh. A hard-metal knock? Worry.

Change the oil and the filter and see what happens. Cheap, and it'll give you some peace of mind.

P.S. Harleys make unusual noises.

P.P.S. It's a Dyna. Most of them really don't take 3 qts of oil. Start with a little less than 2 1/2. Word. While I'm at it, buy and USE the $.99 O-Ring
Thanks Grendel, I've been thinking about changing the oil recently anyway now that we've got rid of the worst of the weather over here in the U.K.

It could've been coming from the primary but it did seem quite high, hence the reason for thinking it was coming from the horn.

Not sure if I'd describe it as a knock but it definitley sounded like metal hitting metal, but then again this morning it was hardly there! So weird.

I'm used to the harley ticking sound as I used to ride a sportster. Maybe she was just in a bad mood! We'll see.

Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:33 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Does it have aftermarket pipes? It may be an exhaust leak.

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:40 AM
hungoverdog
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
Does it have aftermarket pipes? It may be an exhaust leak.
Yeah it have V&H BR 2-1. I'll check the pipes.

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:03 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Thanks Grendel, I've been thinking about changing the oil recently anyway now that we've got rid of the worst of the weather over here in the U.K.

It could've been coming from the primary but it did seem quite high, hence the reason for thinking it was coming from the horn.

Not sure if I'd describe it as a knock but it definitley sounded like metal hitting metal, but then again this morning it was hardly there! So weird.

I'm used to the harley ticking sound as I used to ride a sportster. Maybe she was just in a bad mood! We'll see.

Thanks again.
Change the oil and the filter, you'll feel better.

I put my windshield on for the first time this year couple weeks ago and noticed a 'ticking'. Didn't pay a lot of attentiion to it 'cause I know the bike motor is sound. Took the windshield off because it got up into the low 80's down here and the ticking went away. Put it back on (it got down into the 60's) and back comes the ticking. Meh.

It could also be a loose gas-tank bolt. But I'll respect your mechanical ear and assume it's the engine. Probably is. Change the oil and filter and keep an ear open.

Good luck.

edited to add: Most people don't realize how long it takes a cold Harley air-cooled motor to get up to operating temperature. Even though it's air cooled, it takes some time. Twenty minutes on a 75* day, longer at lower temperatures. Sometimes much, much longer if it's so cold ya got icicles hanging out your nose. Don't discount that either.

Last edited by Grendel4; 02-14-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2011 | 09:42 AM
hungoverdog
|
Tourer

Change the oil and the filter, you'll feel better.

I put my windshield on for the first time this year couple weeks ago and noticed a 'ticking'. Didn't pay a lot of attentiion to it 'cause I know the bike motor is sound. Took the windshield off because it got up into the low 80's down here and the ticking went away. Put it back on (it got down into the 60's) and back comes the ticking. Meh.

It could also be a loose gas-tank bolt. But I'll respect your mechanical ear and assume it's the engine. Probably is. Change the oil and filter and keep an ear open.

Good luck.

edited to add: Most people don't realize how long it takes a cold Harley air-cooled motor to get up to operating temperature. Even though it's air cooled, it takes some time. Twenty minutes on a 75* day, longer at lower temperatures. Sometimes much, much longer if it's so cold ya got icicles hanging out your nose. Don't discount that either.
Wow, really? It hasn't got past 55 recently and my daily commute is only 40 mins through central london...that can't be good for the engine...

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:48 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Wow, really? It hasn't got past 55 recently and my daily commute is only 40 mins through central london...that can't be good for the engine...
Naw, it'll be fine. Just don't 'dog' it when it's cold. Besides, if you're going through Central London you're spending plenty of time at low RPM and low speeds.

Old 02-14-2011 | 10:12 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

I remember after my first oil change the motor ticked less(dino juice)...then after about 1k it got a little louder..next change I used synthetic. It ticked. Next change, same synthetic, the motor got quiet and has stayed that way from oil change to oil change.

Old 02-14-2011 | 10:17 AM
50cal
Cruiser

Hungoverdog, I have an 08 Fatbob and I've heard what I call a "tinging" sound coming from the left side (primary side) of my bike upon acceleration in any gear, any speed. I'm not lugging the bike. It sounds like bb's hitting an aluminum can. Bike runs goods, just this noise is stumpin' me. Posted and saw a couple of threads on this exact noise/complaint. Still no answer. BTW use Mobil 1 and 93 Octane fuel.

Old 02-14-2011 | 10:30 AM
hungoverdog
|
Tourer

Naw, it'll be fine. Just don't 'dog' it when it's cold. Besides, if you're going through Central London you're spending plenty of time at low RPM and low speeds.
Phew ok, can you tell I'm a newbie lol?

Quick Reply: Yes, another ticking thread