Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Hypercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 11:50 AM
FXDLgrl
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback. Pulled the Hypercharger. Very simple.
Going with the Big Sucker. The kit comes with a backer plate- thanks DCLXVI.
Don't have a tuner - but want to know more.
Assuming there are threads on here addressing tuners...

Old 02-14-2011 | 01:50 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDLgrl
Thanks for the feedback. Pulled the Hypercharger. Very simple.
Going with the Big Sucker. The kit comes with a backer plate- thanks DCLXVI.
Don't have a tuner - but want to know more.
Assuming there are threads on here addressing tuners...
you have an 02.. it has a carb. You do not need a tuner.

Old 02-14-2011 | 02:47 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDLgrl
My recently aquired 02 FXDL has a hypercharger.
Doesn't work with the look I'm going for on my bike.
Want to replace it with an air cleaner- am seriously considering an Arlen Ness Big SuckerII. Anyone have any experience with this?
Will the switch be relatively plug-and-play?
Originally Posted by speedzter
Ditch the Hyper. The big sucker is an easy install.
Never a big fan of the Hypercharger ... reminds me too much of 'Flock of Seagulls' and Members Ony Jackets ....

Originally Posted by redmonster13
No such thing as to much air in or out of an engine, the engine is essentially an air pump after all. Tons of nice A/C's out there, look around and find what suits you.
Good 'gouge' ... someone telling you you are getting 'too much air' either doesn't know what they are talking about or are making **** up and hoping that you won't know ... (or that you won't do your research) ....

Originally Posted by rounder
you have an 02.. it has a carb. You do not need a tuner.
'02 could have had EFI ... I believe '99 was the first year EFI was introduced ... but, I am not sure if '02 would have been Magnetti Marelli system or if MoCo had introduced the current Delphi system ....

Your point is well taken (I believe carbs were much more common than EFI) ... but, the OP did not specify whether the bike had EFI or carb ....

Old 02-14-2011 | 02:52 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

Good 'gouge' ... someone telling you you are getting 'too much air' either doesn't know what they are talking about or are making **** up and hoping that you won't know ... (or that you won't do your research) ....
Depends on how you view it. You can have more air available than a motor can use. If your statement was 100% percent correct all race cars would have unlimited CFM capabilities, but they do not, they are tuned to what the motor has the capability to efficiently handle.
Neither here nor there, but there is no NEED for an AC filter that will flow more air than the motor can use, which I think is the point that was trying to be made.

Old 02-14-2011 | 04:26 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Depends on how you view it. You can have more air available than a motor can use. If your statement was 100% percent correct all race cars would have unlimited CFM capabilities, but they do not, they are tuned to what the motor has the capability to efficiently handle.
Neither here nor there, but there is no NEED for an AC filter that will flow more air than the motor can use, which I think is the point that was trying to be made.
Unless it is compressed, in which case you now have a turbo or super charger...

Old 02-14-2011 | 04:35 PM
axslingerw
Advanced

It is the size of the carb or throttle body that can cause problems. An air cleaner can NOT flow too much air because the engine will only intake what the throttle allows to pass. An oversized carb or throttle will result in hesitation on take off and an undersized carb od throttle will result in a loss of top end. The size of the air cleaner can be too small (resulting in restricted air flow) but can NOT be too big. Put on whatever air cleaner you like. No tuner needed for just an air cleaner change as it will NOT change the air flow through the throttle plates.

Old 02-14-2011 | 04:54 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Originally Posted by axslingerw
It is the size of the carb or throttle body that can cause problems. An air cleaner can NOT flow too much air because the engine will only intake what the throttle allows to pass. An oversized carb or throttle will result in hesitation on take off and an undersized carb od throttle will result in a loss of top end. The size of the air cleaner can be too small (resulting in restricted air flow) but can NOT be too big. Put on whatever air cleaner you like. No tuner needed for just an air cleaner change as it will NOT change the air flow through the throttle plates.
I see your respective points ... basically, it boils down to where the 'bottleneck' is ... in order encountered: A/C ... throttle body/carb ... manifold ... head ports ... intake valves ....

As long as you are talking about naturally aspirated ....

Old 02-14-2011 | 05:06 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Big sucker.....easy mod...

Old 02-14-2011 | 05:26 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by axslingerw
You apparently did not understand my point. The original question was about the BS II, which is not NEEDED for a stock motor, it is designed for a Stage II motor which draws more air. The BS will work just fine as more air is NOT NEEDED, There is a cost difference between the 2 as well as the BS II air filters are not as readily available should the need ever arise to replace.
Since I originally missed (brain fart) that it was an 02, which most likely means it has a carb, no tuner is needed for a carb.
BTW, installing a Hi-flow AC, such as the BS, will mean a tuner is a damn good idea for an EFI motor as it does indeed allow more airflow than the stock filter setup.

Old 02-15-2011 | 05:40 AM
tjkcreations
Intermediate

Anyone interested in selling their Hypercharger?

Quick Reply: Remove Hypercharger