Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerCommander 5 w/Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PowerCommander 5 w/Auto Tune

I am planning on adding a Screaming Eagle "Ventilator" intake and Vance and Hines Big Shots to my scoot here in the next month or so. I take my bike to a local indy shop (better customer service and prices). The owner said he recently attended a DynoJet seminar and now recommends the Auto Tune. He said he would install my new parts with a PowerCommander 5. The AutoTune module belongs to him, he would install it on the bike. I would ride it around normally for a couple of days, the AutoTune would create an air/fuel map based on my riding style (throttle position, gear shifts, etc). Then I would take it back to the shop and he would remove his A/T module. And then my bike should be perfectly tuned, all without a dyno. He explained that you can even make a separate map, like a more aggressive one, that you can switch back and forth. This sounds pretty easy and affordable to me for the results I am looking for. Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with this procedure? Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Shane_11_Street Glide
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is telling you the truth about the Auto Tune. I know it sounds crazy but it does work like that. I have the PC 5 on my bike and a friend of mine has it too with the Auto Tune. I personally havent used the AT yet because the O2 sensors are different from his because I put the D & D pipes on. I have to get the sensor then I am going to put the Auto Tune on mine and it will make it more of a precise map.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how perfect the tune would be, there are probably tuning pros that could do much better, but this sounds like something DJ would spin/advertise. You could get lucky.

Once you take the auto tune module off, the bike loses the capability to adapt to fuel quality, so you have a "good enough" tune for the fuel you happen to be running that day.

That may be good enough for you, but that's your call. You may be able to do better for less money if you are a DIYer.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually run premium from Shell or Chevron. Would it make that much of a difference?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM
WarLizard
Banned

For that kind of money, I would rather have the TTS. I never trust "auto " anything. The TTS is a better system and unless you are making monthly changes, it is simple to adapt it to future upgrades. You'll save a few hundred dollars to maybe put toward a dyne to fine tune it.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
WarLizard
Banned

Actually, for the changes you have in mind, you might consider the Fuel Pak from V&H. It's only a few hundred and they map it to their exhaust. Assuming you aren't going to make more changes, this would be an economical way to go.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
sid_gmc99
Intermediate

I just recently went from the PC3 to the PC5 w/ Auto tune on my bike and it is to say the least very awesome and high tech. I would advise, if possible, to buy your own auto tuner to install and leave on the bike. the auto tune is there for just what it says "auto tuning". After you install it you have to make several 20-30 mile runs(depending on your add ons/engine builds) and hook it back up to a laptop and reset your maps if they are still out of the +/-20% area the auto tune can reach out to. Once you get all of your numbers down and in an acceptable range then with the auto tune staying on the bike it can automatically adjust to diffrent riding styles and temperatures as well. the bike can easily go from 40 degree days to 90 degree days and self adjust. I had to take mine on about 5 runs before mine got dialed in, but i have numerous addons and an engine build as well. Just my 2 cents lol.