Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous Fork Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
gseely
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous Fork Lock?

When I bought my Fat Bob about a year ago, when I turned the key to the fork-lock position, the key wouldn't come out. I took the bike back three times for that problem. The first two times, they acted like they'd fixed it, but when I got home, I discovered that it still didnt' work. The third time, they told me that nothing was ever wrong, and the problem was that I needed to put the bike into an upright position before removing the key, and the technician was able to do it.

I took the bike home, but continued to have trouble getting the key out. I figured it was just me, and simply didn't use the fork lock.

Then when I went out to drive my bike home at night a few days ago, the fork appeared to have locked on its own. I got the key out, and fumbled around in the dark. I think it was still in the unlocked position, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Anyway, I turned the key to the other position and tried to get it out. THe fork remained locked. Since it was dark, I thought that maybe I had it in the wrong position, so I tried it in both up and down positions several times with no luck.

I finally gave up, and called my wife to come get me. Before she got there, though, I was able to break the fork free. It bothers me that the fork was able to lock itself at all without me affirmatively locking it, and I was worried about riding the bike. When I got it home, I tried putting the fork into both locked and unlocked positions. The lock is working like it used to, meaning that I can't get the key out when it is in the locked position.

Maybe it's just my paranoia, but it seems like the handlebars aren't lining up quite straight anymore -- but I can't imagine what would cause that.

I called the dealer, and told them I wanted them to order me a new fork-lock assembly, but they said they needed to see the bike first. I told them I had had chronic problems with the fork lock, didn't want to waste my time bringing it in again until I knew they had the parts. They were busy that day, and said someone would call me back. Someone did, but I missed the call, and haven't had time to contact them again.

Has anyone else had problems getting the key out of the fork lock on a Dyna? Do you have to put the bike into the upright position before doing so? I don't particularly like that solution because I'm short and my feet are planted on the ground as firmly as I'd like when I bring the bike upright and bend over to reach the key. I didn't have to do that on my Sportster.

My biggest concern: Is there a risk that the fork will lock itself when I'm riding the bike? It's not like a turn the handlebars all the way to a locked position when I'm riding it, but I'm still worried about it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only used it once but if I remember correctly there is a procedure to locking the forks. I think it is with the wheel pointed straight ahead put key in and turn to lock. Then take key out. Then turn wheel. It's in the owners manual anyway.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
VA Biker
Tourer

I only locked my fork a couple of times. I didnt have any issues. I didnt set the bike upright either. I wasnt even on the bike. Check you owners manual to see if it says anything about having to set the bike upright before you unlock or lock the fork. I bet it dosent ,but Im not sure. I have no doubt your lock needs to be replaced.

When they tell you to bring it in tell them you have a couple of times and you want it replaced. Tell them it locked by itself. I would think they would rather replace it than have you get killed because of it .

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM
gseely
Cruiser

Thanks. There is definitely nothing in the manual about having to set the bike upright. The dealer said that it put too much pressure on the locking mechanism when the bike was tilted on the stand -- but again, I've never had this problem with any other motorcycle.

I really don't understand why they'd hesitate to replace the fork lock even if they're not sure if there is anything wrong. They certainly get paid well by Harley for warranty work, and the risk from a wrongful death lawsuit for products liability is off the charts. The dealer has been great about everything else.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I lock mine all the time and never had a problem. I do need to move the front end a bit for the lock to engage/disengage.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
shamrock22
Intermediate

My superglide was a bit stiff when I first got it but is working better now. When the salesman was demoing it for me it was real stiff and required a lot of wiggle to work. I always use it and it now requires a bit of wiggle but not bad. Not as smooth as my sportster was but works.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

I haven't looked at Harley's fork lock but the way they have worked on all the other bikes I've had was by a bolt that, by turning the key, fits into a slot in a ring that is attached to the fork pivot bolt, or some variation of this mechanism. This slot and bolt only line-up in a very specific spot and only when the wheel is pointed to the extreme left. I have only locked the forks on my Harley a few times but always have to wiggle the forks back and forth to get the lock to work and get the key out. The lock bolt is not spring loaded and only moved by turning the key so I don't know how it could become engaged while you are riding and the slot is located so that you would have to be making an extreme left turn before it would line-up with the locking bolt. No way you could do this above walking speeds. The Harley fork lock is not the smoothest I've used (crude).

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnAE
I haven't looked at Harley's fork lock but the way they have worked on all the other bikes I've had was by a bolt that, by turning the key, fits into a slot in a ring that is attached to the fork pivot bolt, or some variation of this mechanism. This slot and bolt only line-up in a very specific spot and only when the wheel is pointed to the extreme left. I have only locked the forks on my Harley a few times but always have to wiggle the forks back and forth to get the lock to work and get the key out. The lock bolt is not spring loaded and only moved by turning the key so I don't know how it could become engaged while you are riding and the slot is located so that you would have to be making an extreme left turn before it would line-up with the locking bolt. No way you could do this above walking speeds. The Harley fork lock is not the smoothest I've used (crude).
+1, wiggle the handle bars to move the wheel and it will lock in and out, I find with mine if it is at full lock then the steering lock wont engage, I need to pull it ever so slightly to the right engage the lock then let it roll back to the left and it's done.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Mine took some getting use to as well, def. not the easiest setup I have used. I found that mine will not budge if my wheel is pointed as far left as you can go. But it you move it slightly to the right from the furthest left position it will work like a charm and no issues.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2010 FatBob...I use mine on occasion and don't have any issue. I park the bike with the bars turned to the left, insert the key, and wiggle the bars slightly to get it to engage. Repeat the process when un-locking.

Quick Reply: Dangerous Fork Lock?