Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from Sunny Florida!...I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Greetings from Sunny Florida!...I need help...

Hey guys/gals. I'm new here obviously. I just bought a 2002 Super Glide bobbed and bored. Not new to motorcycles but new to Harleys. I used to ride a Yamaha Virago for a while but just got my Harley and love it.

Anywho, I have a problem as well. The bike was a homemade jockey suicide shifter on it and I would like to return it to stock shifting. The guy who owned it was an Expert Harley Tech and the bike is well maintained and he gave me most of the original parts. However Im missing everything between the linkage and the shift lever. i went to Harley and ordered the parts and Im 99% they are not the correct parts. Does anyone have a similar model that could show me a pic of their shifter so i can get an idea of what its supposed to be? I'd appreciate any help with this, because I would really like to ride and where I live is just too busy to mess with a jockey and 18" apes!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Sorry, I forgot to add that it has forward controls. Once again something new to me, I dont know if this it makes a difference but here are pictures of what I got going on with the bike currently.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Found a photo of an '02 with forward controls. Reference them to help you decipher your issue:

I also see that your clutch cable appears to go to the top of your shift lever. That will need to go back to the handle bars, so do not forget to purchase all of that equipment as well.

Last edited by rjsimmons; 02-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Found a photo of an '02 with forward controls. Reference them to help you decipher your issue:

I appreciate that. It does look as if I was sold the incorrect parts....great...looks like its gonna be another week of waiting for parts....

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

I would get back with the original owner and ask him to help you restore it to forward shifting. Your local HD should have all of the parts needed in stock as should the original owner, if he is indeed a tech.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Barz
Cruiser

he's a tech for sure, he is moving though. He works/worked at the HD dealership about an hour from here. When I went to buy parts they parts guy knew him at the local Tampa shop. Im wondering if I lost one of the parts in transport. Im heading to the dealership tomorrow and see what I they can do to help.

I realized they didnt sell me the wrong parts. I asked for 2002 Super Glide shifter parts and thats what I got. Stock replacements. That was my fault.

EDIT:

does harley sell black forward controls? I keep searching on google but am getting very little results.

Last edited by Barz; 02-10-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barz
he's a tech for sure, he is moving though. He works/worked at the HD dealership about an hour from here. When I went to buy parts they parts guy knew him at the local Tampa shop. Im wondering if I lost one of the parts in transport. Im heading to the dealership tomorrow and see what I they can do to help.

I realized they didnt sell me the wrong parts. I asked for 2002 Super Glide shifter parts and thats what I got. Stock replacements. That was my fault.

EDIT:

does harley sell black forward controls? I keep searching on google but am getting very little results.
A good HD dealer should accomodate you returning the stock and help you to get the forwards you seek. They sell lots of black forward controls. Part # 34016-08 is a billet style shift lever in satin black (just as an example). The stock lever can be powder coated in no time if you prefer a solid look.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Barz
Cruiser

very cool man. I appreciate all the help.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Hope you get your questions answered. I'm from Florida too, but it's not too sunny in my part of the state. Next week is supposed to be better.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barz
very cool man. I appreciate all the help.
My pleasure. Let us know how it turns out and be sure to post some before/after pics so we can see you pride and joy!

Also, make certain that you ride Hwy 1 to the Keys and visit Margaritaville!

Quick Reply: Greetings from Sunny Florida!...I need help...