Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from Sunny Florida!...I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
Congrats on the new ride. Hope you get your questions answered. I'm from Florida too, but it's not too sunny in my part of the state. Next week is supposed to be better.
Yeah im in Tampa and have been in Lakeland the past 3 days and it really hasnt been very sunny in either places. There's a bit of a mist in the air and its pretty cool out as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, lets clear up something. The guy who did this is NOT an expert harley tech. That is as botched up a looking piece of drunkard bullcrap as I've seen in a while.

But to your issue. Your bike had mid controls originally, not forward controls. Go to a Harley dealer parts counter, find someone you are comfortable with and order everything you need to restore either to the original mid-controls (both sides), or, if you really want forward controls, then order that for the left/shifter side. If you want forward controls, and assuming the right side has the brake already set up in fwd position, then all you need is the shifting parts as shown in the above photo. You need a shift linkage set up - everything shifter side to restore foward controls except the foot pegs. Take your photo with you. As to that clutch cable, I have no idea what's going on from the photo, but assume he hand a hand clutch on the shifter. You'll need to reroute (and clean up) the cable to the left bar. If you don't have a clutch lever there, you'll need that too.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Barz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thealaskan
First, lets clear up something. The guy who did this is NOT an expert harley tech. That is as botched up a looking piece of drunkard bullcrap as I've seen in a while.

But to your issue. Your bike had mid controls originally, not forward controls. Go to a Harley dealer parts counter, find someone you are comfortable with and order everything you need to restore either to the original mid-controls (both sides), or, if you really want forward controls, then order that for the left/shifter side. If you want forward controls, and assuming the right side has the brake already set up in fwd position, then all you need is the shifting parts as shown in the above photo. You need a shift linkage set up - everything shifter side to restore foward controls except the foot pegs. Take your photo with you. As to that clutch cable, I have no idea what's going on from the photo, but assume he hand a hand clutch on the shifter. You'll need to reroute (and clean up) the cable to the left bar. If you don't have a clutch lever there, you'll need that too.

Firstly, Thanks for the reply. Yes sir, I am aware that it did have stock mids and You are correct on the hand clutch on shifter set up. He just took it off the bars and put it on the shifter. Yes It is set up in forward position on the right side as well. Basically where I'm at now is, I have my linkage and I have the shifter. What i'm missing is the piece that the shifter connects to(the piece between the foot lever and the linkage). That's all im missing as of now. But I will be going tomorrow and showing the guy at the parts department what it is exactly that's going on and hopefully will get this resolved. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

Congrats on the bike. I hope you get the linkage issue resolved. Mines an 02' also but, with mid controls. Postsome pics when you get finished.
BTY I dont have access to my bike right now (out of state) or I would post some pics of the mid controls.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,796 Likes on 2,537 Posts

If you have access to a HD parts and accy. catalog, the dealer has one for sure. In the Dyna section, part number 49080-03A FWD control kit. This has everything to set you up for fwd controls. you'll have to add foot pegs and a shift lever peg.Order that kit and return what the dealer sold you. This would be the easiest way out of your problem, IMHO.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Barz
EDIT:does harley sell black forward controls? I keep searching on google but am getting very little results.
For your year and model 49080-03A is the forward control kit you're gonna need.....it's chrome though! More info on the parts from this kit to be found in my ***H-D instruction sheets database***

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Well today I went and bought the parts i needed to switch it over to a standard shift and get rid of the jockey shift. Midway through I remembered the clutch cable wouldnt fit but he gave me a longer clutch cable in case I wanted to change it back to standard. So I guess I will get at it tomorrow.

I've never done this on a Harley so is there anything I need to look out for? Am I gonna have to change the tranny fluid? My Virago didnt have that issue, i just popped the cover and changed the cable so I just want to make sure.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Shouldn't have to change the tranny fluid. I swapped my OEM clutch cable for braided and only dribbled a bit of fluid. Make certain that you check yours according to the service manual (if you do not have one, GET ONE!!! Best money you will spend on your bike).

Make certain that you have all of the requisite bolts/nuts/washers at hand. If you have adjusted clutch cables before, you should have no problem. The shifter will require much more of your attention, make absolutely sure that you have complete range of all of your gears and can get into/out of neutral. Probably familiar territory, but cannot hurt to cover that ground.

Good luck, take lots of pictures and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I am still waiting of photos of your trip to the Keys!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Shouldn't have to change the tranny fluid. I swapped my OEM clutch cable for braided and only dribbled a bit of fluid. Make certain that you check yours according to the service manual (if you do not have one, GET ONE!!! Best money you will spend on your bike).

Make certain that you have all of the requisite bolts/nuts/washers at hand. If you have adjusted clutch cables before, you should have no problem. The shifter will require much more of your attention, make absolutely sure that you have complete range of all of your gears and can get into/out of neutral. Probably familiar territory, but cannot hurt to cover that ground.

Good luck, take lots of pictures and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I am still waiting of photos of your trip to the Keys!!!!

Sounds good. I'm going to take some pics of the bike here in a couple days. as for my "trip to the keys"...i have no clue what you are talking about. lol. I assume you have mixed me up with some other newbie. Haha.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Sunny Florida!...I need help...