Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED headlight for dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KungPowMinchow
yup thats the same part number. i ordered mne from zanotti's it was 329.60 before shipping and only took a week to get
Perfect thanx for your info, I'll have to order one for myself

Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsplace
As there's a bunch of LED interested folks on this thread, here's a cross post.

Howdy folks,
Dropped my scooter off at my local Indie and was showing him the new LED headlight. He was impressed and then asked, "Why does the low beam shut off when the high comes on?" I had no answer and he made sense when he figured that the light would be even better with both on.

What do you guys say? Good idea? Bad idea? Wreck the light idea? What say ye?

Originally Posted by p51bombay
FMVSS if I'm not mistaken.

Heat, actually. While LEDs waste less energy as heat than traditional bulbs, they generate all of their heat at the base where the driver circuitry resides, which is why there's a huge heat sink on the posterior side of the unit.

There's no regulation preventing the use of highs and lows at the same time.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

How about somebody wiring one up to burn both high and low and let's see what happens. That would be an easy task.

The stock wiring that attaches to the headlamp incorporates a ground, a low beam wire and a high beam wire. The low beam wire energizes the low beam when the main switch is on. The high beam wire energizes the high beam when you hit the high beam switch. However, when the high beam is turned on, the low beam wire is turned off.

To make both beams burn simultaneously, you have several options.

You can wire a jumper between the low beam wire and the high beam wire and insert a diode. Position the diode to block current from feeding from low to high but to allow current to flow from high beam to low beam. This way, when low beam is on, the high beam is not getting current via the low beam circuit. However, when the high beam is switched on ( and low beam off), current will enegrgize the high beam and also flow through the jumper wire and through the diode to also energize the low beam. Use the biggest diode you can find at Radio Shack.

OR- run a separate wire with switched power to the low beam and then attach the normal high beam wire to the high beam wire connector on the headlamp. You can just tape-up the normal low beam wire since you will not need it (remember, you are not using it because it goes dead when the high beam is on).

My biggest concern is heat. I am curious if the energizing of both low and high beams together will generate too much heat for the heat sink to dissipate.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
OZEGS
Advanced

Here's a good comparison between stock halogen and HD LED as well as another LED brand.

http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf

Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Why do you need both beams on at the same time?

I have had the HD LED headlight for a few months now and have never even switched the high beam on. The low beam works great by itself!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Live2rideUtah
Tourer

Has anyone attempted to put this on an older dyna yet? Hopefully it is the same and would just require one to file off the tab? I am still wanting to get one of these but of course my bob is an 07

Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cobra II headlight w/ Black LED Headlight work out?

Originally Posted by INADAZE
Picked up a Cobra II headlight, powder coating it black, and putting the black LED headlamp in it. Should get it back in a week or so. I'll definitely be posting pics.
Been reading up on these Black LED Headlights and definitely getting one but since I have the FatBob have to replace the dual headlight for this to work. So am looking at options for a new headlight shell and the Cobra along with the quoted comment got my attention.

With that said did you get your setup done? How did the LED fit in the Cobra? Any pics to show your masterpiece?

Last edited by Bigg Lou; 10-09-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Clarify question
Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Picked up a Cobra II headlight, powder coating it black, and putting the black LED headlamp in it. Should get it back in a week or so. I'll definitely be posting pics.
Been reading up on these Black LED Headlights and definitely getting one but since I have the FatBob have to replace the dual headlight for this to work. With that said did you get your setup done? How did the LED fit in the Cobra? Any pics to show your masterpiece?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
pheur
Tourer

This is really interesting. I'd like to hear back from you about fitting the black LED in the Cobra II. Exact same setup I have been thinking of but I am not sure it will fit.

Other threads and forum members have confirmed that the LED insert will fit in H-D's original bullet headlight. Question is, will it work in a Cobra II?

Quick Reply: HD LED headlight for dyna's