Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about dealer "downloads"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 PM
aclundwall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about dealer "downloads"

I searched for the answers to these questions, without much success. I apologize if it was there and I just missed it.

The Harley dealers wants $150 to install a 'download' to the ECM to I assumed that they were using the SERT to do this. When I asked the dealer if they used the SE race tuner to do this, they said yes.

But then I read on some other forum posts that the SE race tuner is married to the ECM upon which it's first used. If that's true, then for each bike they reprogram, they'd expend an SERT. That doesn't compute, given what they're charging! So, what method is the dealer using to install this 'download'?

Second question.... if the dealer has installed a download using whatever their method is (SERT or something else), does that preclude you from using a PC V later (since the ECM is no longer in its stock configuration)?

Thanks,

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer download is just that a download.

You can still use a PCV with a download they make maps for wether you do or dont have the download.

Keep in mind the download is designed for a SE breather and SE slip-ons. If you run a better flowing system you will still be on the lean side. Dont think it will be lean enough to hurt anything but wont be the best performance.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
aclundwall
Cruiser

I think I found the answer to my first question... there are two tuner versions, a street and a pro version. The dealer uses one that allows them to download street legal maps to bikes. The other version is the one that's mated to the individual bike's ECM.

So I'm left with the second question... assuming the dealer downloads a map using their tuner, does that preclude me from adding one of the other methods down the road, like the power commander, or the other version of SE race tuner?

Art

Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
aclundwall
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bberck
The dealer download is just that a download.

You can still use a PCV with a download they make maps for wether you do or dont have the download.

Keep in mind the download is designed for a SE breather and SE slip-ons. If you run a better flowing system you will still be on the lean side. Dont think it will be lean enough to hurt anything but wont be the best performance.
Thanks for the reply...looks like we posted simultaneously....

When I bought my bike, I also bought the Stage II 103 kit, with cams, hi-flow air cleaner, and V&H exhaust. The map they are installing (theoretically) is for my combination of engine and mods. I figured a canned map was the way to go for now, since the engine is new and probably shouldn't be run on a dyno for a while.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

bberck said it exactly right....dowmloads only give you a new base to build on

Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Run your engine 1-2000 miles and then get a TTS Mastertune system and have the bike dyno tuned or do the DIY tuning. BTW, Mastertune made the first SERT for HD.