Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise-Mate...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

does it work better than the 12 dollar plastic doodad that snaps over the stock throttle lock?

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Absolutely in my opinion. Much neater appearance and no loss of grip length.
As I agree with your opinion on a 'Much neater appearance'
I dont understand the 'loss of grip' statement.

BTW my throttle lock was less than $10.00 and installed in less than 5 min.
Havent had any problem in over 5 years.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Fixintu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilling????

No drilling and works great:
http://throttlelocklever.com/

Attached Thumbnails Cruise-Mate...WOW!-throttlelock.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fixintu
Drilling????

No drilling and works great:
http://throttlelocklever.com/
Amen to that. Put one on about a month ago. Less than $20 including shipping, and took less than 5 minutes to install. Works like a charm.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a firm proponent of the real art being in the details, but in this case I'd just go with the Throttle Lock...you can barely see it, it requires no drilling, and if nothing else it's cheaper.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I complete agree with Rockon. 'go with the Throttle Lock...you can barely see it, it requires no drilling, and if nothing else it's cheaper'
I just checked out their site, Didn't realize the prices were in the $20 now.
But still a great deal.. Might point out my $10 price was a sweetner on a package deal at a rally.. but even then I think it was only $12.99.
If you spend any time on rode trips, its a must have..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnR
does it work better than the 12 dollar plastic doodad that snaps over the stock throttle lock?

As I agree with your opinion on a 'Much neater appearance'
I dont understand the 'loss of grip' statement.

BTW my throttle lock was less than $10.00 and installed in less than 5 min.
Havent had any problem in over 5 years.
Sorry, thought you were talking about another set up. Yours looks
great. Way cheaper than the CruiseMate too, but that's water er...money under the bridge

Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Gambler72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These look very cool... how are they "overrideable"? Once the throttle is locked do you essentially still have the opportunity to "force" the throttle where you want it to be because the throttle lock doesnt actually "lock" the throttle in place does it really just hold it there? Also when the throttle lock is "open" is there any added resistance to "normal" throttle operation? Looking at these products it looks like the stock "star" nut is not moved that far between being "open" and "locked"

Can I use any MORE "" in this post???

Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Very easy when you take it slow. Kit comes with jig, drill bit, and tap (bit and tap 10 bucks extra) If the jig is installed correctly, drilling and tapping the new hole are a piece of cake. Don't let the online instructions scare you. Job from start to finish about 30-45 minutes tops. Love it so much I'm recommending it to anyone with basic tools and a little patience. Instruction sheets have pics to guide you through every step. Engages and disengages safely and easily. Best money I ever spent for a part of this quality.

I put this on my bike last fall. At the time the kit did not come with the bit and tap. The sizes on the tap are not very conventional. I couldnt find the right size bit or tap at Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears. Found them all at ACE Hardware. It would have definitely been worth the extra $ to hve them send the right size bit and tap ant the time. But once i had all of the tools instalation was a snap.

I like this better than the other cheaper alternatives because you can adjust the tension on the fly and re-set it.

[Fatbob usmc EOD] How easy was it to install. I read the directions online and it mentioned having to do some drilling of the stock throttle lock hole. I think that was what was drilled anyways. I'm kind of leery of taking a drill to my bike but I'd love to have a throttle lock I actually felt safe using
You will feel safe with this one, as for instalation, order the additional bit and tap to save the headache of driving around to find them.

Great Product.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of the "cheap locks" are for the most parts just a handle extension on the star wheel. when the wheel is tightend it creates drag on the throttle to the point where it will hold the throttle open.

Since they can be flipped to an "on and off" position, setup requires you to adjust the star wheel till it will hold the throttle open and then back it off 1/4 turn. Attach the device to the wheel, and then when you want to lock the throttle, flip the lever which will turn the star wheel 1/4 turn and hold the throttle open.

In an emergency, yes, you can open and close the throttle since the drag is minimal.

Personally, I never had any luck with them, and end up throwing them away. Seems a bunch of guys here like them, so may be worth a try.

Originally Posted by Gambler72
These look very cool... how are they "overrideable"? Once the throttle is locked do you essentially still have the opportunity to "force" the throttle where you want it to be because the throttle lock doesnt actually "lock" the throttle in place does it really just hold it there? Also when the throttle lock is "open" is there any added resistance to "normal" throttle operation? Looking at these products it looks like the stock "star" nut is not moved that far between being "open" and "locked"

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambler72

That is the best thing about this product, you can adjust it to any tension you want. I leave mine with no resistsance in the unlocked position and the locked position is easily over-ridabel. You can adjust it to have a little tension in the unlocked position which will result in a harder tension when locked. But in that case you probably wouldnt even need to engage the lock in the full forward position to get enough tension to lock anyway.

And as stated above, you can easilty adjust this on the fly.

Quick Reply: Cruise-Mate...WOW!