Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Stage 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
anthonytrestivo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Stage 1 question

I have a stage1 HD download, HD Heavy Breather and V&H Slipons on my 10 FXD SC. Runs great but thinking about installing a Fuel Management System etc....Should I or is it a waste of money? If so, what is the best for the money?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonytrestivo
I have a stage1 HD download, HD Heavy Breather and V&H Slipons on my 10 FXD SC. Runs great but thinking about installing a Fuel Management System etc....Should I or is it a waste of money? If so, what is the best for the money?
In my opinion the Stage 1 was a waste but when i put a Power Commander it was noticeable... call fuel moto

Power commander V with auto tune.

I have a PCIII and i wish i had gone with the V

Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
anthonytrestivo
Novice

I got the download because of what the dealer advised, just don't want to have any warranty issues?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
WarLizard
Banned

It's only a warranty issue if Harley can show that it caused whatever problem you're having. I agree with prior post on fuel moto and the PC - V, go with the auto tune as well if you plan on future changes. HD wants to scare you into buying their products, same with car dealers if you make mods. Since you don't have the cat on your model, with a proper map, you will notice small tq and hp gains with just the slips and intake.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

The download that Harley did is a base map to ensure the bike will not run too lean with the new mods. There is always a good margin gain from a base map because it tends to run rich throughout the powerband. With a good tuner you can squeeze out more power and still have a reliable tune. But you have to shell out more money for a tuner product and dyno tune time. I have run PCIII on many race bikes in the past and gained quite a bit of power with a good tune. PCV is a newer model but only allows you to map the fuel tables. If you want the max out of your bike you will need a tuning device that can alter the fuel tables and ignition timing as well. So power commander sells an add on for their piggy back system to modify the ignition advance tables as well. PC is a good product but there are other tuning options that are better imo. So at the end of the day it comes down to what you want to spend on the tuner device, tuner and dyno time. If you want every inch of power out of the bike or you are happy with the base map.

edit: I would recommend since you only did slip on's to use the base map. When you have done everything you want (power wise) then do the full custom map to gain the most out of the motor. So until you go full exhaust I wouldn't ever consider a custom dyno tune map because you are going to be disappointed with the minimal gains that the slip on's can gain with the heavy breather. So if you don't plan on any engine upgrades, go full exhaust with the heavy breather and your gains will be more. Slip on's are for the sound and will only gain minimal whp (on average 1-2 at best). With a full exhaust there is more to be had with a custom tune.

Last edited by Gringoloco13; 02-04-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
anthonytrestivo
Novice

Thanks. Think I will run as is untill I install full exhaust. Looking to change but haven't made up my mine what type.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

Why don't you tr.y boring out your factory baffles? might lose a little low end TQ but will sound great

Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but why would you recommend he bore out the baffles and lose torque. OP's question appeared to want the best performance not sound.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
anthonytrestivo
Novice

I have Q/baffles in the slipons and like the sound. I would like a little deeper sound when I go with full exhaust.