Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Rear Shocks REALLY Make a Difference???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

After getting no real improvement with the 440's on my 07 SB, I put on a set of Ohlins and the difference was amazing. I actually went 1/2" longer travel and can't believe the comfort, not to mention how they transformed the handling. Then again, they are put together with your specs and riding habits. Talk to Howard at Motorcycle Metal:http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/

Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
black1125
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the 412's on my FXD, and if you're looking for "wow" I don't think you'll get it, I know I didn't. What I did get was some adjustibility for 2-up riding once in a blue moon.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Quality shocks are a huge improvement over stock. The stock shocks on most bikes are like a pogo stick. A lot of bounce and not much if any dampening (along with limited adjustability). I don't have aftermarket shocks on my Fat Bob (YET, I do have Ricor Intimidators up front), but back when I rode and raced off road I used Ohlins and there is NO comparison between stock and good quality shocks.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 Ohlins take the ride to a whole notha level.

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Quality shocks are a huge improvement over stock. The stock shocks on most bikes are like a pogo stick. A lot of bounce and not much if any dampening (along with limited adjustability). I don't have aftermarket shocks on my Fat Bob (YET, I do have Ricor Intimidators up front), but back when I rode and raced off road I used Ohlins and there is NO comparison between stock and good quality shocks.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
DutchBob
Cruiser

I went with the Ricors and absolutely no regrets here! Worth every $$$.
A huge difference compared to those oem pogo sticks.
Easy adjusting, more comfort and the bike handles so much better!
On top of that, they look great!

Last edited by DutchBob; 02-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with the 440's on mine and did notice a big change over the stock ones. There are better out there like the Ohlins but I got the 440's in black for the right price and couldn't pass it up. I went with 11.5" which lowered the bike yet it doesn't bottom out and the control on the corners is great without any loss of wheel contact when you go over irregularities. I also did some work to the front end and made sure the suspension sag was set up correctly.

We met once when I bought a derby cover from you. If we run into each other again I'll let you take my Dyna for a ride so you can compare.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As always great input here. I I'll add this to my mods list sooner than later.

DCLXVI, how ya doin man? We should ride one day, the weather has been great this winter season!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using the 12" Street Glide shocks and the ride is like ahhh. But I went from progressive 11" Heavy Duty to these so the change was pretty dramatic.Bagger take off air shocks are cheap especially if you don't mind the 12 3/4 inch stock E Glide/Road King ones.If you shop around on Ebay you could try em out for around $80 if you want the lower 12" it'll cost ya but it's still cheaper than the bottom end Progressives

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I'm using the 12" Street Glide shocks and the ride is like ahhh. But I went from progressive 11" Heavy Duty to these so the change was pretty dramatic.Bagger take off air shocks are cheap especially if you don't mind the 12 3/4 inch stock E Glide/Road King ones.If you shop around on Ebay you could try em out for around $80 if you want the lower 12" it'll cost ya but it's still cheaper than the bottom end Progressives

What is the size of our OEM shocks?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 AM
DutchBob
Cruiser

Stock size is 12 inch

Quick Reply: Do Rear Shocks REALLY Make a Difference???