Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
code1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order

One new National Cycle deflector ordered thanks for all the feedback! I checked this one out on youtube and like how it looks and mounts plus price is good also for a guy who may not even like a windshield. The Wind-vest looks sharp too but at half price I figured I would try the National first. Here is a good video I found of the shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZ0_dIHoh4

Last edited by code1; 01-31-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit29
I'll be buying one for our trip to the Outer Banks this summer. Should I get the touring shield or what? Does anyone have that one on their Dyna?
I tried the detachable H-D compact windshield first, but the buffeting that started at 35 MPH drove me nuts. I then purchased the detachable H-D Touring windshield and it's great! I eliminated most of the minor buffeting that remained with the addition of a front fork bag.

I too thought that I'd be removing it for short trips, but in no time I found that I just left it on. Much easier on the eyes, face, quieter and more comfortable. Gotta watch your speed though. Before the shield, the rapid increase in wind noise, no, call it a deafening roar, told me I was at 54 MPH. Now I find myself going 70 MPH on those same roads. Plus I can hear things like spark knock that I didn't stand a chance of hearing before. I was shocked to hear how often it could happen in 6th gear on a hot day if I let the speed drop down too much.

I've grown used to it, and along with the Wyatt FXDP footboards, H-D touring seat, detachable sissy bar and Boss Bags detachable bags, I think it looks great and, along with the Electra Glide Ultra air shocks, is extremely comfortable for long rides as well.

Last edited by Romeo; 01-31-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling correction - that kinda sh*t bugs me!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blaster
I have a HD quick detach. I bought it for cold days and really long rides. Ya right! Now it only comes off on the hottest of the hot days. I've gotten so used to it being there the bike looks odd without it.
I'll second the comment about the bike looking odd without it, especially while sitting on the bike. I had it on for about 3 months and 2500 or so miles and took it off one day when the weather got hot. It seemed like someone had chopped the front of the bike off. The windshield just makes it seem longer or something. I've also found I can hear the pipes a lot better as well as my ipod. I bought it mostly for the colder weather so when I am transferred to Northern Florida I'll probably only have it on for a few months a year.

"I'll be buying one for our trip to the Outer Banks this summer. Should I get the touring shield or what? Does anyone have that one on their Dyna? "

I would highly recommend a windshield of some kind if you're heading out that way. There's a wild life area I can't remember the name of that is filled with bugs. The wife and I rode up to the outer banks from the southeastern part of North Carolina and had to pull over to put on face masks they were so bad. Kind of like riding in a heavy downpour. I think even coming in from the west you'll have to ride the same highway. Hwy 64 I think. Oh Yeah, there's also bears

Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Punchsmack
Maybe I'm the only guy that doesn't mind the wind/turbulance at speed. Or maybe I'm still too new to riding that I still like it. I've also never been behind a shield to know what a smoother ride it might be. Meh...

I don't think a windshield, windvest, SOA-fairing, and batwing-fairing can look good on a Dyna. But that doesn't matter. It's a mostly a functional addition to the bike, not something you're adding to make the bike look better. Maybe the SOA-fairing is the exception to that statement.

That windvest doesn't look half bad though. Where did you get that Eric?
I bought it from a forum member. I only use it occasionally. My plan is to use it to help block the wind for my iPhone. I'm gonna use the iPhone with a Ram mount as my GPS when traveling longer distances. I tend to be a minimalist when riding. I'll post up pics after I've modded the bracket to hold the GPS.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Is the I Phone waterproof?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The case it fits into is...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
The case it fits into is...
Great to know....thanks. Have been thinking of doing much the same as you were talking about. Sounds like the IP can fit neatly into many niches.....gps....music....phone....too bad it was also a two-way comm between bikes.....lol

Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheReprobate
That looks fantastic.
Yes; I'm impressed, it looks really nice the way you cut it to fit the lights

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
13frain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm like Romeo, Got the Harley detachable but hardly ever take it off. No more feeling like a kite in the wind or constantly getting hit in the face by bugs. You do have to check your speeds more often.
I don't have a lot of chrome because I'm not into polishing and buffing my ride. However, I do keep the windshield clean. It's as spotless as the day I put it on. Get a good cleaner that is made for lex-an.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1 Windvest

Have a WIndvest on my FatBob and like it a lot. I rode 1300 miles to Daytona without it and bought it while there.

Without it at anything over 65-70mph for any amount of time I was riding with a death grip or having to lean way forward and grip the handlebars up near the triples with left hand, **** like that....

WIth the WIndvest I can sit there at a steady 75-95 mph one handed, if I want, and never have to deathgrip the bars..... I'm 6'3" and the top of screen is about throat level.

IMO they blend in real well and and don't distract much from the looks..... I don't like the big bulky windscreens that look at home on a CopBike or similar.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Time-motolocopat-windvest-views-7-cockpit.jpg  

Quick Reply: Windshield Time