Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" front wheel need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 16" front wheel need help

Hey guys I'm trying to lace a 16" wheel on the front of my '08 street bob. I ordered spokes from hdwheels and got the hoop (16x3) off a softail heritage. I can't get it laced correctly, the outside (short head) spokes are coming up a little long and the inside (long head) are a little short. I'm beginning to think the hoop is incompatible. To those who have done this, what kind of hoop did you use? Or if anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser

Anybody have some advice?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wish I could help ... I relaced my Heritage rims, but the hub and spokes all come off the same Heritage wheel (I was not trying to lace the rim to the stock Street Bob hub since I had already installed a 'wide glide' front end) ....

My understanding this is a photo of what you are trying to do ...

I am pretty sure there are some guys on here who've done what you're trying to do ... just guess they haven't seen your thread ....

R/
'Chop

p.s. When I got my wheels powdercoated, to save a few bucks, I relaced the wheels myself ... I had to refer to the service manual ... but, the spokes and rims all went together to begin with ....

It was a little tricky ... had to go back to the drawing board a couple of times before getting it right ....

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 01-31-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser

Yea that's exactly it, I searched the forum and found guys who have done it but none really specify what kind of hoop they used. I talked to hdwheels today and they seemed to think everything would work together but I don't have the pattern right. I tried using the pattern out of the service manual but that isn't working. Back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to do the same but with a Road King rim, asked the same question and didn’t get a satisfying answer, so I still don't know if I should buy spokes!

Would like to adapt the whole RK wheel instead of re-rim on my SB hub…

Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser

I'm going to keep trying and will post if and when I figure it out. The sportster 48 uses this setup so I might try and look at one to see what kind of pattern to use. I know its been done so its probably just a matter of getting the pattern right. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just go on ebay and get a laced wheel for your bike? Bunch of companys selling laced wheels for damn near every Harley out tere....just a thought

Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain

I already have de RK wheel, got it for my previous Sporty, was a plug and play then, not on a Dyna unfortunatly

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM
wag_oh_neer
Cruiser

Well I got it figured out, the only deviation from the stock pattern is when installing the spokes into the hub. According to the manual"Insert one short head spoke into any bottom flange hole and swing it clockwise. Insert a long head spoke in the next hole to the left of the short head spoke. Swing the long head spoke counterclockwise over the short head spoke. Find the hole in the upper flange directly above the two spokes just inserted. This hole uses a long head spoke." I had to use a short head spoke in this hole. Other than that just follow the directions in the manual for lacing a 19" wheel. Thanks to those that posted, as soon as I get the bike back together i'll try and post some pics(hopefully by this weekend).

The following users liked this post:
Mendrax (01-31-2018)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Coxbow
Road Captain

I ordered some spokes and will re-use the 16" RK rim I've got... will post some pics to

Quick Reply: 16" front wheel need help