Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Octane Boost

Still having a pinging problem with my 06 Glide. Installed the OIEDs, but I haven't been able to notice much of a difference. Pinging less now because of the cooler temperatures I reckon. Any of you used an octane booster? Brand? The gas here in SoCal is horrible as even my Ranger (4.0) will ping like crazy when I get a "bad" tankful. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't but I think a good tune will pay for itself if you ride a lot. That stuff can get pretty pricey and mixing it constantly has got to be a PIA.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its not the octane its the tune

Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the same area of OC as you, and I've never had a fuel-related problem... even in my Corvette with a built 402 stroker. My experience has been that the fuel is fine as long as you avoid Arco. I would suspect clogged in-tank fuel sock, injectors, or spark plug gap problems first.

In any event, OTC octane boosters are worthless. They only raise octane a few points (i.e., 91 to 91.3). If you want to prove to yourself whether it's an octane issue, here's a trick we use in the vettes. Homebrew your own octane booster by mixing 1 gallon of xylene (available at Sherwin Williams) with 1oz of Marvel Mystery Oil. Xylene is a petroleum aromatic already present in small amounts in pump gas, and has an octane rating of 117. It is safe to mix in concentrations up to 30%. If you mix it with 4 gallons of 91 octane, that's a 20% mixture and an average octane number of 96.2. See how your bike runs then. The xylene also has a slight solvency action, so may help a mild case of clogged injectors as well. GL!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
I live in the same area of OC as you, and I've never had a fuel-related problem... even in my Corvette with a built 402 stroker. My experience has been that the fuel is fine as long as you avoid Arco. I would suspect clogged in-tank fuel sock, injectors, or spark plug gap problems first.

In any event, OTC octane boosters are worthless. They only raise octane a few points (i.e., 91 to 91.3). If you want to prove to yourself whether it's an octane issue, here's a trick we use in the vettes. Homebrew your own octane booster by mixing 1 gallon of xylene (available at Sherwin Williams) with 1oz of Marvel Mystery Oil. Xylene is a petroleum aromatic already present in small amounts in pump gas, and has an octane rating of 117. It is safe to mix in concentrations up to 30%. If you mix it with 4 gallons of 91 octane, that's a 20% mixture and an average octane number of 96.2. See how your bike runs then. The xylene also has a slight solvency action, so may help a mild case of clogged injectors as well. GL!
Excellent idea. I tried that in my '80 Vette and had good results, just too expensive to do on a regular basis. I may consider that for my Dyna as the stations around here run 87 and 89 octane.

p.s. Excellent looking Softail. I like the smoked tail light!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
In any event, OTC octane boosters are worthless. They only raise octane a few points (i.e., 91 to 91.3).
Not completely true. MOST OTC octane boosters will raise your octane about 10 points, which is about 1 octane number (so from 91 to 92). However, NOS brand octane boost will raise it between 60 and 80 octane points...so 91 to 97-99. Not as much as race gas but better than pump.

Now, many may poo-poo this notion and normally I would too but I have a my race car that was seeing a bit of knock when ran on 91 octane at wide open throttle. I have a computer that was scanning it so I could see that the computer was pulling about 3 degrees of timing to combat the knock that it was seeing. I added the NOS stuff thinking maybe it would at least take it from 3 degrees to 2 degrees...it didn't. With the NOS stuff in the tank I saw 0 knock! Not just for one pass, but every pass I made that night down the track...which was at least 10.

So yea, most stuff is crap like was said and the alternative meathod works too but I do recommend the NOS OTC stuff.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate all your comments and advice. May try some boost just to see what happens.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Wait, just hold on. Every speed shop in the nation sells race gas in 5 gallon cans not to mention many have live pumps where you can fill up your own can. Like many have said, its the tune, not the octane but just for piece of mind, buy a few gallons and dump a couple in a half full tank. That way you will find the answers your looking for. Either way, if you have to run race gas on a street motor, somethings wrong and you should know for sure one way or another.