Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start. Help Please!

Hey Guys, finally decided to take the bike out for a test ride and it won't start. It's cranking but won't turn over. When I flip on the run button I can hear the fuel pump. What should I check next? I changed my bars and cables recently but all of the lights work and the fact that I can hear the fuel pump and it cranks leads me to believe it's not because of that. It's been on a battery tender all winter and I plugged it back in after draining the battery some from trying to start it so I'll have to wait a bit before I try again. Any suggestions.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You should start with the basics....Make sure the battery is fully charged and check for spark. Next you should check for fuel, I know you said the fuel pump is working, but you need to verify that fuel is getting to the throttle body. If you have fuel and spark the next thing would be timing, although I highly doubt that is the problem. It will probably be one of the two, spark or fuel that is the problem. It could also be the PCIII. You could temporarily remove the PCIII and try just the stock ECM by itself and see what happens. Keep us posted on what you find, and don't find....Goodluck...

Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by nkauf21
Hey Guys, finally decided to take the bike out for a test ride and it won't start. It's cranking but won't turn over. When I flip on the run button I can hear the fuel pump. What should I check next? I changed my bars and cables recently but all of the lights work and the fact that I can hear the fuel pump and it cranks leads me to believe it's not because of that. It's been on a battery tender all winter and I plugged it back in after draining the battery some from trying to start it so I'll have to wait a bit before I try again. Any suggestions.
Is your CEL coming on when you change the switch to run and then going off after a couple seconds or staying on? Also when you are cranking the bike are you getting a click click click sound after it won't start?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I got it to start! I let it sit on the battery tender for a bit and disconnected the fuel line under the tank and reconnected it. Tried to start it again, it cranked a few times and fired right up. I let it idle for a few minutes and took it out for a quick 20 minute ride. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

First off I am glad you were able to her started!!!! Secondly, screw you for going riding.....Just Kidding.....I am so snow bound here that it is probably going to be a while(Spring Thaw) until I can get out there.....Going stir crazy, can't ride.....The first winter in a long time that I have not been able to ride and more snow is on tap for next week!!!!! Be safe out there and ENJOY!!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
First off I am glad you were able to her started!!!! Secondly, screw you for going riding.....Just Kidding.....I am so snow bound here that it is probably going to be a while(Spring Thaw) until I can get out there.....Going stir crazy, can't ride.....The first winter in a long time that I have not been able to ride and more snow is on tap for next week!!!!! Be safe out there and ENJOY!!!!!
Thanks, it was just a quick spin. There may not be snow here anymore but it's been raining more days then not for most of January plus they are still salting the roads and it's been in the 30's most days. I'm really hoping that by March it will be a little warmer and that they stop salting the roads. Then hopefully I can get a few good rides in.

Hopefully your snow thaws out quickly!