Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Ignition Relocation Write Up (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Doc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dropkick, I'll look forward to the photo. :-)

Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Doc
Cruiser

Dropkick, Did you order the 1/8 inch?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc
Dropkick, Did you order the 1/8 inch?
yup

Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good job! What did you use to cut the hole? How do you seal it? Is water gonna get in there?

Originally Posted by Dropkick
Got it done. I drilled my dash and mounted the switch with the plate method. here's some pics. more pics in my album.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 128auto
Good job! What did you use to cut the hole? How do you seal it? Is water gonna get in there?
Thanks 128auto. Good job with yours as well. I saw your thread on the build in JRK5892's sticky. I didn't have an old car spring plate laying around so I went this route.

I used a 2" hole saw. I ordered a grommet online and am still waiting for delivery. That should seal it up nice. What you see in the pic is vacuum line I cut down the middle and wrapped around the hole. The switch fit snug on it. Should be ok if i don't hard stream spray water directly on it. But the jury is still out on that.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser

Finally got the grommet and had no success installing it. The grommet is too big. There is not enough room between the 2" hole in the dash and the switch. So for at least for now I will be keeping the vacuum line to seal it.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
fonso003
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Hey guys, I have been following this thread for a while. Props to all the guys that have done this, they all look great! I got all the parts to do this and luckily I checked the wiring first, I have a 2012 street bob, I was able to remove the stock ignition switch from the neck, but to my dismay, there was only a small connector with 2 16 gauge wires coming off of it. I was not able to get the switch working with any combination of wiring. My only idea is that the two wires are just jumpers and the power source is introduced further up the harness. Anyone have experience with a 2011+ and this mod? Thanks everyone!

Last edited by fonso003; 02-13-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM
bcmiles
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fonso003
Hey guys, I have been following this thread for a while. Props to all the guys that have done this, they all look great! I got all the parts to do this and luckily I checked the wiring first, I have a 2012 street bob, I was able to remove the stock ignition switch from the neck, but to my dismay, there was only a small connector with 2 16 gauge wires coming off of it. I was not able to get the switch working with any combination of wiring. My only idea is that the two wires are just jumpers and the power source is introduced further up the harness. Anyone have experience with a 2011+ and this mod? Thanks everyone!
That sounds odd. Did you pull the ignition switch through the bottom of the back bone? Being the ignition switch, there should be 3 wires connected to it. Do you have pics? I'm curious if others have had this same issue.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Originally Posted by bcmiles
That sounds odd. Did you pull the ignition switch through the bottom of the back bone? Being the ignition switch, there should be 3 wires connected to it. Do you have pics? I'm curious if others have had this same issue.

Yeah something dont sound right... The ignition circuit should have 3 wires. PWR, IGN, and ACC.

IF there is only 2 wires a switch is a simple thing that connects those 2 together - So manually doing just that should turn on your ignition . If that doesnt happen I would guess you have the wrong 2 wires perhaps? Even just using 1/2 the switch listed in this thread should provide atleast A result... maybe not a completely working one. Sounds like a dumb question but have you tried your old switch now that you have disconnected this plug? No shame in getting the wrong one... its like a can of spaghetti in there lol

On a side note I just did this to my FXD ('09) .. I went with jmpancoast's method and it worked out beautifully. Didnt need that flakey fuel gauge anyways

EDIT:
after re-reading your post I see you actually removed the neck switch to get to the plug? is that correct? If so then yes yes... pics please.

Last edited by onemyndseye; 02-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

2012 Dyna is a CAN-bus wired bike. If you don't know what it is, don't screw with it.

Quick Reply: Street Bob Ignition Relocation Write Up (Pics)