Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Fork Brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SE Fork Brace

i am putting the se fork brace, part 46192-99A, on my 98 fxdl. a couple of questions. i have chrome lowers and it says not recommended in the instructions. all i can guess is that they dont want to be liable for scratches on the chrome as i can see no other difference between stock dimensions.

second question is, it is really togh to get these on. i will have to slightly nudge them into place with a rubber mallet. not too worried as it really is a nudge, but wondered if this is typical.

thx - tin

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
docsg
Tourer

Originally Posted by tincup64
i am putting the se fork brace, part 46192-99A, on my 98 fxdl. a couple of questions. i have chrome lowers and it says not recommended in the instructions. all i can guess is that they dont want to be liable for scratches on the chrome as i can see no other difference between stock dimensions.

second question is, it is really togh to get these on. i will have to slightly nudge them into place with a rubber mallet. not too worried as it really is a nudge, but wondered if this is typical.

thx - tin
I installed the Super Brace model on my 05' FXDL and had the same problem as you. It was due to the chrome lowers as they are slightly thicker than the powder coated ones. The result was a slight gap in the pieces that bolt around the top of the lowers but I put a chrome washer in the gap and it is hardly noticeable. It bothered the **** out of me at first but now I don't even notice it. The people at Super Brace were great and offered to take them back but I kept them anyway. I think the fork brace along with the True-Track helped the way my bike handles. It better after $400+ for both of them.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docsg
I installed the Super Brace model on my 05' FXDL and had the same problem as you. It was due to the chrome lowers as they are slightly thicker than the powder coated ones. The result was a slight gap in the pieces that bolt around the top of the lowers but I put a chrome washer in the gap and it is hardly noticeable. It bothered the **** out of me at first but now I don't even notice it. The people at Super Brace were great and offered to take them back but I kept them anyway. I think the fork brace along with the True-Track helped the way my bike handles. It better after $400+ for both of them.
The brace is great and especially for a guy like me that runs no front fender but I am not sold on the Tru Track especially for that money you know.. You think the tru track made that much of def??

Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i also have the superbrace..mine is on a 01 fxdl..also have the sputhe engineering ..like the tru trac..yes..they also make a big difference in the way my bike handles..i have had mine for 2 yrs..?.. i really like these mods..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the Custom Cycle Engineering fork brace on my 2000 FXDL and it fit perfectly on my chromed lower forks. Looks way better than the SE in my opinion. It's in mint condition (chrome) and fits a 39mm narrow glide front end. I removed it recently when I converted to a 49mm mid glide, so if you're interested in mine, send me a PM.

Here's a link to the CCE site so you can see what it looks like: http://www.ccesd.us/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=448

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
I had the Custom Cycle Engineering fork brace on my 2000 FXDL and it fit perfectly on my chromed lower forks. Looks way better than the SE in my opinion. It's in mint condition (chrome) and fits a 39mm narrow glide front end. I removed it recently when I converted to a 49mm mid glide, so if you're interested in mine, send me a PM.

Here's a link to the CCE site so you can see what it looks like: http://www.ccesd.us/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=448
thanks BD. i already have the SE one, so will make it work. thanks anyway.

mine isnt about fork diameter, but the width between them...on so slightly.

tin

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Skrawl505
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 FXDB

I'm big, 240 lbs, and ride aggressively. Am more used to bigger rockets and the way they handle, but will never go back.

Like twisting up the Street Bob as much as possible but don't have near the confidence in the front end, start getting a dead man's weave going if I hit a bump mid turn and am on it hard.

Any guys out there tighten this up with a fork brace? True-Track is spendy, $378 for an FXDB. Total I'm looking at $600 between the two?

Last edited by Skrawl505; 03-29-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

When fitting most braces the instruction say something to effect of jacking up the front end, loosening the triple tree bolts so that the stanchions are looser, tighten up the brace, then tighten the other bolts back up.

Might just make enough difference to get your brace on OK.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

What does this brace do?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dynafrom818
What does this brace do?
Well, there's a long run for the forks from the lower triple tree to the axle, with a rotating joint half way along. This allows for some flexibilty, especially noticeable on wide forks.

A fork brace sits half way along the forks to add some bracing to reduce twisting and flexing.

Effects are that the front and may seem less skittish and squidgy (technical term ) on cornering.