Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins shocks... why???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:09 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by masterblaster

Sounds like a nice ride you did, where is los Mexico? ...

It's what I started calling Los Angeles shortly after arriving.

Old 01-25-2011 | 09:18 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster

Sounds like a nice ride you did, where is los Mexico? ...

Originally Posted by thealaskan
It's what I started calling Los Angeles shortly after arriving.

hehehehhe

Old 01-25-2011 | 10:02 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default marital harmony

Originally Posted by punkmxcn
Jay, thanks. I've read everything that Howard has on the website, twice. I see you mounted yours with the piggyback front side. I've seen plenty of pictures like that. Is that for clearing saddlebags and it doesn't make a difference on the performance of the shock. I was thinking the piggyback #4 or separated #3. Any reason why you didn't go with #3? It seems like a cleaner set-up for only 20 bucks more.
Yes,I mounted the shocks with the reservoir facing forward for fitment w/ saddlebags. They work as well forward or rearward. And the ability to adjust Pre-load, Compression and Rebound make it possible to dial in a great ride for 2 up with gear and switch to solo sport easily. Regarding your question about #3, I went with the best I could afford at the time. Never regretted it and I would recommend the same for anyone else. Jay

Old 01-25-2011 | 10:24 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

hey guys ride and customise as you want i like my bike lowered and am willing to give up some comfort, if they made ohlin shocks that would keep my bike lowered i would buy in a minute, and i am sorry if i hurt your feelings and yes i have said i diden`t like the looks of them before, but that dosen`t mean you made a bad decision i do my bike like i want and don`t care what other people think of it, its my canvas period i just do not like the looks of them and i would rather give up some comfort for the look i want its not personal and i am glad you get compliments you have a nice bike, you prob not like my bike but guess what i don`t care

Old 01-25-2011 | 11:42 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Default good job.

Looks like your headed the right direction.
The most important and most neglected area is suspension and braking, if your gonna rock n roll with the big boys ya better be ready.
A stock dyna suspension might be designed for 50 hp and 70 mph with ideal road conditions.
see ya on the road.

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
Yes,I mounted the shocks with the reservoir facing forward for fitment w/ saddlebags. They work as well forward or rearward. And the ability to adjust Pre-load, Compression and Rebound make it possible to dial in a great ride for 2 up with gear and switch to solo sport easily. Regarding your question about #3, I went with the best I could afford at the time. Never regretted it and I would recommend the same for anyone else. Jay

Attached Thumbnails Ohlins shocks... why???-img_0010.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:13 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
hey guys ride and customise as you want i like my bike lowered and am willing to give up some comfort, if they made ohlin shocks that would keep my bike lowered i would buy in a minute, and i am sorry if i hurt your feelings and yes i have said i diden`t like the looks of them before, but that dosen`t mean you made a bad decision i do my bike like i want and don`t care what other people think of it, its my canvas period i just do not like the looks of them and i would rather give up some comfort for the look i want its not personal and i am glad you get compliments you have a nice bike, you prob not like my bike but guess what i don`t care

Huh ?

Old 01-26-2011 | 12:52 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Why? Because when you're at the local gathering spot and a sport bike rider says, "is that your bike?"
You say, "yes."
And he says "you're the smartest Harley rider I've seen."

It's worth EVERY penny!

Old 01-26-2011 | 05:29 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

The OP is about the benefits of Ohlins, this is a good thread, informative thread so far lets stay on topic gents.

Old 01-28-2011 | 10:36 AM
sizmtrz1
Novice
Default ...

Yall crack me up with the "ugly" thing... I guess its perspective. I've been riding for a decade now, all on sportikes, and in that crowd the Ohlins Gold and that block "O" is looked apon kinda like all the chrome on a harley. It's the showpiece we bragged on. I can say, the very first mod on every bike I owned was the shock... then the forks... the a powercommander.

Someone else put shocks and brakes as priority to suspension. I disagree, Stock brakes and rubber vastly outperform stock suspension especially since body/frames of cruisers prevent you from really getting the bike up on the side of the tire . Upgrading the suspension is first and formost, then for me its smothing out throttle response. my 2 cents.

Mark

www.kyleusa.com is another great place to find Ohlins stuff and Dan Kyle is very personable and considered THE guru of ohlins components.

Old 01-28-2011 | 11:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
hey guys ride and customise as you want i like my bike lowered and am willing to give up some comfort, if they made ohlin shocks that would keep my bike lowered i would buy in a minute,
Motorcycle Metal will build you lowered custom shocks, but not really low, so you still keep good ride quality. Worth considering!

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
Why? Because when you're at the local gathering spot and a sport bike rider says, "is that your bike?"
You say, "yes."
And he says "you're the smartest Harley rider I've seen."

It's worth EVERY penny!
Mine are on my Glide - I need see-thru saddle-bags!

Originally Posted by sizmtrz1
....I can say, the very first mod on every bike I owned was the shock... then the forks...
Welcome to HDF. We now have access to Ohlins forks as well as shocks for Dynas!

Quick Reply: Ohlins shocks... why???