Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins shocks... why???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011 | 10:31 PM
punkmxcn
|
Tourer

Zac, I believe when you plan on putting 30-40,000 miles-a-year 700-900 bucks on rear suspension isn't that much...
I have a buddy that spent 1000 bucks on powdercoating and complains about ride quality.

Old 01-23-2011 | 10:46 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

but there so ugly, i guess you have to sacrifice something either looks or ride quality, i have the prog 11 inch and they ride rough but love the looks,

Old 01-23-2011 | 10:50 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
but there so ugly, i guess you have to sacrifice something either looks or ride quality, i have the prog 11 inch and they ride rough but love the looks,
You can fix ugly...unlike stupid, but I digress. hahaha I bought the top of the line Ohlins from Howard at Motorcycle Metal (forum sponsor) and had them chromed. I chromed them, 'cause I thought they were ugly.

Chroming was not inexpensive, but they look hot. Ride quality was great. Rode over some bumps that tossed my 130 pounds in the air on my Wide Glide - not with the Ohlins. Much, much better. Very happy with my purchase.

Old 01-23-2011 | 10:51 PM
punkmxcn
|
Tourer

I'm not sure if your joking or serious.

Old 01-24-2011 | 01:33 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by masterblaster
You know, I thought long and hard about the $ factor, I put a lot of $ into riding, even stupid silly chrome, lot$ of it too, engine work out the ying yang, brakes, audio for the Ultra, LED lights for the Ultra and soon on the Dyna. If I had to Categorize actual functional importance, it would be Brakes, Tires, Suspension, Lighting, Power, Chrome and Gadgets.

I just thought it interesting you mentioned nothing about comfort, fit, like seat and handle bars or foot controls.

I rode my FXR from Alaska to Los Mexico one way solo, stock rear shocks and stock crap front, and while it could have been better with a better suspension, I'll never know. My handle bars fit perfect, the Corbin seat made any butt issues a non-issue, and the forward Hurst controls all combined made for a great ride. No complaints (some of those 3500 miles were admittedly bumpy though).

So I'm just wondering if we have our priorities straight.

Old 01-24-2011 | 02:44 AM
punkmxcn
|
Tourer

Hey, I've been riding my FXD completely stock. And it's been fine... But it's too low, scraps exhaust..and a set of cams completely throws fuel mileage off course... Hahahahah

Old 01-24-2011 | 04:32 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Seat is important if you still have a ***, I have "old man ***" now so it does not matter. Depending on the bike I guess on Bars, had to change my 07 RKC bars to Heritage bars asap or get rid of the bike because the pain it caused between my shoulders, no prob with the Dyna Sporty or Ultra bars, changed them all just for cosmetics though. With the exception of the RKC I had no problem with the bars or seats but if I did they would be the first to change as they are the easiest. Suspension is survival function, keeps your wheels on the road, brakes stop ya, lights let others see you better (hopefully), Power, well we are dudes and like power what can I say its not really required though, the rest is nice to haves. So it basically breaks down to fit function and farkelling.

Sounds like a nice ride you did, where is los Mexico? We have a beautiful country dont we? Never really know how beautiful until ya ride it though. Our people are as good as our country is beautiful too.

Originally Posted by thealaskan
I just thought it interesting you mentioned nothing about comfort, fit, like seat and handle bars or foot controls.

I rode my FXR from Alaska to Los Mexico one way solo, stock rear shocks and stock crap front, and while it could have been better with a better suspension, I'll never know. My handle bars fit perfect, the Corbin seat made any butt issues a non-issue, and the forward Hurst controls all combined made for a great ride. No complaints (some of those 3500 miles were admittedly bumpy though).

So I'm just wondering if we have our priorities straight.

Last edited by masterblaster; 01-24-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2011 | 04:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

There is visual ugliness and functional ugliness. It is well to make that distinction! Ohlins look so-so, but perform truly beautifully. I haven't come across another shock that promises so much AND delivers.

Why Ohlins? Well truth to tell I am another satisfied customer of Howard at Motorcycle Metal, also that my #3 Ohlins are on my Glide (my FXDXT has quite decent suspension, especially for exclusively solo use). They ride smoother, glide over normal road irregularities and have NEVER bottomed out. Did I say NEVER bottomed out? That is riding close to 1200 pounds all up.

The real bonus, on long journeys, is that we don't get so tired. In other words, because they ride so smooth, we can ride further and still be more comfortable than ever before. On an old style Corbin saddle, that is saying something!

If you have a lot of miles in mind, that benefit alone is worth having. If you simply want a superior ride, your choice is made. I spent months wondering which shocks to buy next. If you spend long enough on here, going through old shock threads, you will find some members who have tried several different shocks and only been happy with Ohlins.

Think how much time and dough you can save just getting them! Don't buy them in a box off the shelf, get them custom built for you. Give Howard a call.

Old 01-24-2011 | 07:46 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain

I just don't see my Ohlins as being ugly. The yellow anodize reservoirs can stand out, but form follows function, you have several choices with Ohlins. Howard hooked me up at Motorcycle Metal and the Ohlins transformed my bike into a machine I can have confidence in riding through the twisties without worry.

Old 01-24-2011 | 09:43 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

LOL. Now my feelings are really hurt! I think you even called my bike a ricer last time. Post up a pick of your ride so I can use it as a model to improve the appearance of mine.

My original plan was to put the shocks on and dial them in. Once I was satisfied, we would strip them down and send out for powder. Funny thing is, the Ohlins look has really grown on me, and the bike gets about 100x more attention and compliments than it ever did.

Bottom line I suppose is I love the performance and how the bike stands apart from many other dynas.

Quick Reply: Ohlins shocks... why???