Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used VHT wrinkle paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Anyone used VHT wrinkle paint

I've never liked the look of the battery or electrical covers on my bike. Yesterday I went to the bike show and noticed a lot of the new bikes have a wrinkle finish on those pieces. A can of paint is $10 so I'm thinking of giving it a try. Only it looks like it would be a lot of work sanding it back off if it looks stupid.

I'm not looking for opinions about what you think of the boxes being wrinkled, you can comment if you like, but I'm wondering how the paint looks. Does it look uniform or just like a bad paint job?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaster
I've never liked the look of the battery or electrical covers on my bike. Yesterday I went to the bike show and noticed a lot of the new bikes have a wrinkle finish on those pieces. A can of paint is $10 so I'm thinking of giving it a try. Only it looks like it would be a lot of work sanding it back off if it looks stupid.

I'm not looking for opinions about what you think of the boxes being wrinkled, you can comment if you like, but I'm wondering how the paint looks. Does it look uniform or just like a bad paint job?
A friend of mine painted his Street Bob engine with the stuff. (the engine had some white spots forming on the OEM powder wrinkle finish after 4 yrs of use)
He first cleaned it real good with alcohol to remove any pig snot etc.
Then he sprayed it with a flat black High temp Grill paint (the 1100 degrees one) Then he let that dry a day and then sprayed the wrinkle on. Looked good.
Course you probably don't need the heat primer on the boxes. Just clean it real good and practice spraying a piece of scrap first. He said it changes texture a little as it drys.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master

Finally got warm enough weather to get this done. I followed the instructions of three heavy coats and put in oven for one hour. Didn't like the look so I did it again (over top of first time). Here's how they turned out.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone used VHT wrinkle paint-battery-cover.jpg   Anyone used VHT wrinkle paint-electrical-cover.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 12:26 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blaster
Finally got warm enough weather to get this done. I followed the instructions of three heavy coats and put in oven for one hour. Didn't like the look so I did it again (over top of first time). Here's how they turned out.
Looks darn good to me! Excellent job!

I hope you are not putting them in the same oven you bake in for food. Don't know for sure about paint, but Joe said powder will poison an oven. You might want to clean and air it out good.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks damn good to me too.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master

Originally Posted by R_W_B
I hope you are not putting them in the same oven you bake in for food. Don't know for sure about paint, but Joe said powder will poison an oven. You might want to clean and air it out good.
That's what pub food is for! Seriously it was my regular oven. It's a self cleaning one that gets up to 900 degrees in the self clean mode. I ran that twice before I put anything eatable in there.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks bad ***. That is my winter project. Did you go right over chrome? Think I will use a self etching primer.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That came out real good.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

I used the VHT on my strut covers and they came out great. The ones on my bike were the brushed stainless(?) finish, not chrome, so they were easy to scuff up for prep. Here's a little better view.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by nevil; 09-29-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: photo
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those struts look sweet! Oh how The ideas keep comin!

Quick Reply: Anyone used VHT wrinkle paint