Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running throwover saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default anyone running throwover saddlebags?

starting to ponder some storage ideas for the season coming up

i'd like to run saddlebags, my handlebar t-bag is great for a few days, but i can't bring anything home with me.

HD sure is proud of their dyna leather bags (600 bucks?!) and i'm not crazy about the look of the quick disconnect hardware.

was thinking about picking up a cheap set of throwover leather bags and rigging the part that lays on the fender so that it won't scratch (adhere some microfiber or sheepswool to the bottom side) and going with that set up.

anyone go this route or see any problems doing so?

something like this

Last edited by toastman; 01-22-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I run some inexpensive Saddleman throwovers and they work just fine and fit nicely between the shocks and directionals.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Street Bob
I run some inexpensive Saddleman throwovers and they work just fine and fit nicely between the shocks and directionals.
thanks for the quick reply...any pics?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a pair of fox creek large throwovers for dynas, they are really nice bags but alas they dont exactly fit with the side mount plate on the new WG.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

When I wanted cheapo throw overs, I went with Jafrum. Tons under 60 bucks. Leatherup has the same bargains. The PVC were much better than the real leather since the cheap real leather bags were pretty darn thin. I ran Willie and Max on my Shovel. They were probably my favorite of the 100 dollar range bags. None of the cheapys lasted very long, but if its just for rare occasions, thats how I'd be shopping.

Jafrum: Throwovers.

Leatherup: The yoke was such crap I cut it off and hard mounted them before it trashed my fender.

Willie and Max: Throwovers

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-22-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
When I wanted cheapo throw overs, I went with Jafrum. Tons under 60 bucks. Leatherup has the same bargains. The PVC were much better than the real leather since the cheap real leather bags were pretty darn thin. I ran Willie and Max on my Shovel. They were probably my favorite of the 100 dollar range bags. None of the cheapys lasted very long, but if its just for rare occasions, thats how I'd be shopping.
thanks for pointing me in a direction man.

fwiw i LOVE the looks of the HD bags on a dyna, they flow nicely and i'm all about my bike looking good.

but i'm not keeping them on long, ever, so i can't justify spending the money

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Darn, its too bad you don't have a system to mount bags. You could just have the set in the second picture. But EZ Brackets cost more than a new set of throw overs!!! Well, if you want the bags, there yours for nothing. Maybe figure a way to attach them or make the yoke I cut off. They are cheapo bags but they are just collecting dust in my basement.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-22-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
BftXJ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same boat. i just want a little more room to carry some things or go on a couple days ride without a backpack. i really want to get a set of quick disconnect hard bags becasue i dont really like the look of the soft ones

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have a set on throw over bags from Farm and Fleet. Can't remember the brand. They were $119 and I have used them for about four years now.

Here's a picture when they were on the Softail.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran new $50.00 throwover small square bags from swap meets. lasted for about 1-2 yrs. each,and when they wear through from the rear belt pully or the brake caliper, I nail them on the wall to store stuff in and buy new ones.
Last year I bought my 3rd set and ARE FOR a dyna $90.00 at swap meet new. I also bought some swap meet brackets and bent them to fit my bike last year. Seem to be doing ok. Found out early thy all unzipped easilly, but didnt zip back up easy. so i just took the seat off to install and remove. these should last longer.
but if you dont run them all the time, just throw a cheap set on. check album pix

Last edited by jackstrr; 01-22-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: szdxfcgvhlb;kj

Quick Reply: anyone running throwover saddlebags?