Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running throwover saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Dyna is used mostly for multi-day trips, and always has throw-over's on it. They're the most practical way to instantly provide substantial storage, especially putting the weight down low. They're so easy on and off; mine don't even need to be tied, as they're a tight fit between the shocks & turn-signals, and the sissy-bar locates them fore 'n aft. Needing no supports, over time they will eventually cause a tiny amount of paint loss or dulling @ high spots wherever they are allowed to rub (strut covers, caliper...). The aft part of the 2-up seat provides plenty of support. Simple, lightweight, low maintenance, quick, cheap...

But they have 2 major shortcomings:

1-They're (generally) seriously not weatherproof.

2-They cannot be substantially secured against easy theft.

For those 2 reasons alone, I am replacing my throw-overs w/ '09 Road King Police hardbags and a modified vintage Tour-Pak.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lo-rider
.... ..... For those 2 reasons alone, I am replacing my throw-overs w/ '09 Road King Police hardbags and a modified vintage Tour-Pak.
When you get er done, post some pics. I would like to get a set of hardbags that aren't too big and tall (kinda like the Police bags were when I was a teenager).

And ideally I would like to find them at a swap meet for a great price even if they are kinda rough. Then I could sand them down and paint them.

And no, I doubt if you can remember what the police bags looked like when I was a teenager. I graduated high school in 1968.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default alternative to throw-overs

Originally Posted by R_W_B
When you get er done, post some pics. I would like to get a set of hardbags that aren't too big and tall (kinda like the Police bags were when I was a teenager).

And ideally I would like to find them at a swap meet for a great price even if they are kinda rough. Then I could sand them down and paint them.

And no, I doubt if you can remember what the police bags looked like when I was a teenager. I graduated high school in 1968.
When you were in high school, I was in Vietnam. So you might be surprised at what I've seen and can still remember.

Yeah, I like the more compact and minimalist look of the older luggage, which is largely why I went w/ the vintage Tour-Pak (found a brand-new 1). But I'm OK w/ the late touring bags on my Dyna; they really complement the looks of the existing bike very well. Work commitments have prevented me from doing any more than collecting all the major components, and working out and refining my overall design approach.

OP--sorry if this got too far off-topic.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
thornious
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixintu
Leatherup bags with yoke cut out, chrome spacers, new bolts and made some brackets with flat stock from local hardware store. Waterproof and not a fortune tied up in them. Total cost less than $150

really like the look. Got any pictures of the bracket and just how hard are they to take on and off?

Last edited by thornious; 02-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by lo-rider
When you were in high school, I was in Vietnam. So you might be surprised at what I've seen and can still remember.
......... OP--sorry if this got too far off-topic.
(OP don't mean to high jack your thread but it's old enough and has given so many ideas to you, I want to ask lo-rider a brief question. By the way OP I mounted my throwovers hard with aluminum angle, button head SS bolts.)

Hey lo-rider, my respect to you. I followed you there in 1970. Were you there during the 68 Tet offensive? I did duty in Lai Khe along QL13 to the Cambodian border. Then later up in the mountains of the southern highlands near Bao Loc. Glad you made it back to the World brother. Combat Engineer, Army.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Default OT

RWB--PM sent.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 AM
drbald1
Cruiser

I'm just about to have Leatherworks make a throw-over set for me. We're working out details right now. I hope to order 'em in the next two weeks, another 1-1.5 weeks for assembly & delivery. I'll post pics then, if anyone's interested.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
never say never
Tourer

throw over saddle bags are complete bull ****, all they do is blow around and beat the hell out of your scoot, anything that is not fastened to the scoot is going to cause big problems and chances are they would be easy pickens for the 1%s.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
slick10
Road Master

I ran throw over bags from Leatherworks Inc. http://www.leatherworksinc.com/ on my 2000 wide glide. They worked fine for me. Here's a pic.

Last edited by slick10; 02-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Fixintu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thornious
really like the look. Got any pictures of the bracket and just how hard are they to take on and off?
I will see if I can take a few pics when I get home of the brackets. I made 4 total. One to go inside the bag on the forward mount (keeps the bag from riding out in the wind) and one on the rear rotated forward to keep the bag away from the swing arm. Most expensive part was the damn chrome spacers, about $5.50 each.

Quick Reply: anyone running throwover saddlebags?