Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running throwover saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just buy some good weather proof PVC bags (many for under a $100).
Then go to Ace Hardware and buy the Sheet (self stick) Felt they sell.

Then cut and stick the felt to the underside of the throwovers where it comes in contact with the back fender, to stop paint dulling and scratching. I use this stuff between my tank and my seat contact.

You can buy some braces that bolt to the fender bolts at various places or you can fabricate your own from polished aluminum flat bar. These will keep the bags off your pipes, and or scarring the swing arm and shocks. The bags can also be tied to the brace bottom to keep the bag from blowing around empty at high speeds.

I bought some chrome ones that keep the bags out beyond the shocks so I can use any size bag.

However I am in the process of hard mounting my throwover bags to a bracket I made of aluminum angle, that bolts to the fender bolts. I curved and sanded the corners and edges and polished them. I will try to get some pics later. I have the brackets on the bike already but have not finished the part that bolts to the bags.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
thinking about these

anyone know anything about saddleman?

i can find them for 90 plus shipping online, comparable in size and shape to the HD bags..
Those are the style that I have, but I believe mine are a smaller size. Be sure to measure the distance between the shock and directional. Also, I don't use brackets and have had no problems (but I did rig a small straight bar to keep bag off the belt area). Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Those Fox Creek bags look awesome!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrentsterS
Fox Creek Dyna Bags here. No need to relocate sigs, on and off in 2 minutes (that includes tying them down). Snug fit between shocks so they don't move much.

Nice quality. I don't keep them on all the time. Just when the temp requires layering or I am making a run for the wife.

These are what I have. I haven't used them in a couple years because my rear axle bolt wore some threading out on the bag seam (gotta get that fixed.) But they are good bags...I just had to adjust them to fit right so they don't rub. Be sure to put felt or something similar on the yoke wear it sits on the fender.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Im going to suggest something different....
Take a look at the Kuryakan synthetic expandable throw over bags.
Lighter and water proof.
Get the part no. off of their site, and then do a search for the best price....

Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
07BlueScoot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I'm glad you brought this up. I'm definately gonna order some. After much research I think I'm gonna go with Saddlemen Cruis'n w/shock cutaway. Here's the deal I personally dont like saddlebags but like you said man you gotta have the storage. These look a little bulky but if I'm gonna run em I might as well get something with storage size. Wish I could afford the Fox Creek bags those look the best. Here's a link:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

07 those bags would easly convert over to easy brackets, and get rid of the throw over.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
BftXJ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what hard bags would be the ones to look for that can attach quick release brackets...as far as fit

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out
www.leatherneckjims.com

Great products and service. I have the Denver style synthetics for a few years and they still look like new.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
starting to ponder some storage ideas for the season coming up

i'd like to run saddlebags, my handlebar t-bag is great for a few days, but i can't bring anything home with me.

HD sure is proud of their dyna leather bags (600 bucks?!) and i'm not crazy about the look of the quick disconnect hardware.

was thinking about picking up a cheap set of throwover leather bags and rigging the part that lays on the fender so that it won't scratch (adhere some microfiber or sheepswool to the bottom side) and going with that set up.

anyone go this route or see any problems doing so?

something like this
I run a set of willie & max throwovers - they work fine. a little finiscky finding just the right spot to tie em down but other than that no problems. thei will scuff the paint on your rear fender though so I usually put a small towel or whatever between them and the fender........ works good. I was thinking of getting one of those suction cup bitch pads though to put on the fender under the bags but I use them so rarely I haven't gotten around to it

Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Willie and Max throw overs, good quality, price and made in the USA. I leave the adjustment as loose as possible and they go over my rear seat, protecting the fender from wear and tear. I only use them once or twice a year but they work great.

Quick Reply: anyone running throwover saddlebags?